Problems importing sketch up model to max 2010 via connection extension

vanessaforner

Hi everyone!

I am new in the forum, very pleased to be around!

I have been given a big model from sketch up. I can see the materials in sketch up and how they are distributed and I can read the building perfect.

After importing into max with the connection extension pluging the materials ID seem to have gone mad appearing brick materials on window frames and glass… no sense at all…

Also I get a collection of multi sub object materials with different combinations of the original 6 materials from sketch Up.

The original model is been built using components in sketch Up, maybe this has something to do with the final mess..

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Thanks!!

Hi everyone!

I am new in the forum, very pleased to be around!

I have been given a big model from sketch up. I can see the materials in sketch up and how they are distributed and I can read the building perfect.

After importing into max with the connection extension pluging the materials ID seem to have gone mad appearing brick materials on window frames and glass… no sense at all…

Also I get a collection of multi sub object materials with different combinations of the original 6 materials from sketch Up.

The original model is been built using components in sketch Up, maybe this has something to do with the final mess..

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Thanks!!

can you post a link to the skp file? we can have a look here.

Hey Guys!

I need help! After spending 3 days trying to work out the huge model from sketch up, cleaning, changing materials and Id's; the client has decided to give me a new model!!!!

And I find the same problems...

I think the fact that he never used layers, and he is been modelling with components is what makes later the mess in max, a collection of subobject materials manage to mess all the materials around the building... I don't think is easy solution because was badly modelled on first place I guess...

But If you think there must be a solution to the mess please let me know! would be very appreciated.

Find a link to a piece of the facade, in my earlier post.

Thanks!

Thanks very much for having a look,

I didn't save the texture because is not necessary for helping me with the problem, instead I made the materials in sketch up red, yellow and blue, so when imported it in Max can be easily noticed the change of colours.

All the narrow vertical panels should read in red, the glass blue and the brick yellow as shown in sketch up, but when imported in max, everything gets mixed up..

I hope this helps.

Thanks again..

Vanessa, i've seen your file and it's very easy to fix it.

Rule #1, check face orientation, back face always should be on the back...they have to have the same color or material of the front face or no materail at all (default)

you have 2 good options to export it in MAX via 3ds which I prefer over connection extension!!!... the first one in one object with multi-object material and the second one "export by material" which will group all the objects in max.

in Sketchup when i export the model i always turn off the option "export stand alone edges"

Fernando

Edited by Fernando Lino

Thanks Fernando,

Already using connection extension.. and I have to say is improved a lot the way Max reads the sketch up information.

I think the problem is in the way my client modelled the sketch up model, using components, so one component is the frame, window glass and wood panel... in the same building he is using a lot of different components.

The components when imported in max make a collection of multi subojects materials, and the ID's mixed between the objects giving me a building full of colours and no sense..

Each component will read in max like one editable mesh having together the frame, glass... and to separate I need to go one by one and detach faces..

I've tried the 3ds exporting options that you suggested but none of them is giving me an easy fix..

Cheers

Hi,

if you change the display to monochrome in sketchup you will see that the faces are flipped...all the faces have to looks white, if you see that they are blue means the normal are flipped then when you export it to MAX you won't see the face righ away....as i daid in my previous post both faces have to have the same material of the backface as default to get the model right in max.

I always work with a lot components & groups and I haven't had any problem exporting to max....one option, would be exporting by material then you won't get subobject materials.

these are my settings,

Fernando

Thanks Fernando,

The model is been given to me, so I find the normals already messy, is it any way of flipping them in Sketchup not having to go face by face? because I have hundreds...

Thanks for the tip of exporting by material which fix the problem of suboject materials, although not matter how I export this model my materials get mixed up.. Appearing the color of the brick on the timber panels and on the window frames..