DirectX 9.0c problem

I installed 3ds max 7 on winxp(without sp ) ,installing directx 9.0c ,it is working fine,but another PC which has winxp SP2 ,with directx 9.0b installed is driving me crazy.

I tried to install direct x 9.0c but it checks for I don't know what and says installation successful>finish without even installing it dxdiag runing after this shows ver 9.0b.

I even forcefull extracted the 9.0 c files,resulting in a reinstall of xp sp2 again,at best back to 9.0b

Now I have reverted it back to directx 8.1 using one unisnstaller,but I cannot install 9.0c back again.....

I tried microsoft site with directx update but it also fails to install....

I am extremly annoyed,there is hardly any flexibility with directx,you can't uninstall it officially.

So all in all how to get my dxdiag show ver 9.0c from ver 8.1 on winxp sp2 now

...any takers....

well believe me friend the build which I HAVE HAS 9.0b,and I cannot upgrade it to 9.0c ......doesnot solve anything.

forget sp2,the current situation is my dxdiag shows ver 9.0b. that is where it ends,does not go any where,

I still have to try one more method,but for that I need cab files for 9.0b,where is that on sp2 cd???I will replace 9.0c cab files with 9.0b and install 9.0b....but where can I get 9.0b cab files....duh..duh. :mad:

• 3 weeks later...

I ve been having the same problem more or less but no matter what i do it frustratingly persists. Nasheet when you say you tweaked the registry and done it, what exactly do you mean?

please help me on this one, id be really glad.

As far as i found out the whole DirectX 9.0c business involves a bug (or so) that wont let windows xp (with SP2 and earlier directX version included) update to 9.0c. It just finishes the installation in a flash, obviously not installing it but saying that it did. (uninstalling SP2 is not an option here unfortunately)

A solution that seems to be working for some people (there are quite a few that had the same problem) is to replace the dll files of 9.0c with those of 9.0b . But ,as you could possibly imagine, that didnt work for me.

Could you please help me if you found out any solutions on it?

cheers

i changed the directx version values in the registry,that helped me to install max.but that's not what you shall do,I am attaching two files here,overwrite them to your directx 9.0c folder and run dxsetup again....if this does not solve it....check out happy installer version 2.0....http://www.superfoxs.com/

hope it helps.

Thanks

Ive tried those stuff before countless times but still nothing. Well thank you anyway for your time. If you have any other ideas please let me know.

Im afraid that the only solution is formating the drive and installing winxp without SP2. Thank you Mr Gates once again

I know what exactly you are going thru...its time to take things in your hands then relying on Microsoft he he.....

okie here is a simple registry tweak....

1.)extract the directx.cab file in your directx 9.0c folder to any folder...whatever name you give it.

2.)find a file in it called dxver.inf it reads..

[version]

signature="$CHICAGO$"

[DefaultInstall]

AddReg=add.reg

[add.reg]

HKLM,"%DX%"

HKLM,"%DX%","Version",,"4.09.00.0904"

HKLM,"%DX%","RC",,"0"

HKLM,"%DX%","Debug",,"0"

[strings]

DX = "Software\Microsoft\DirectX"

3.) open registry editer ,if you don't know how to open regitry editer click start button-->> Run..--->>>and type regedit and hit enter

okie now go to key......HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectX

change the keys to above...

4.)Install max again....and lo...it does now....

actually max looks for verinformation which it takes from this key...it is fk bothered about anything else...

most imp you shall see 4.09.00.0904 in there

tip: if you run dxdiag it will still show ver 9.0b.....

5.)for this you can run dxsetup again after copying those two dll files I attached in previous post....and get the dxdiag utility from happy uninstaller....it will show ver 9.0c.....

get me....if I am not able to explain it properly....let me know

try it out first.

The two files attached in Nasheet post worked for me and i was able to install directx 9.0c. here is what i did:

i downloaded the two files attached above and placed them in directx 9.0c setup folder and executed dxsetup.exe . WORKED :)

Thanks to Nasheet for the tip.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

all of u are saying different things... i've been trying to play sims. and the same problem occured with me. it says i need directx 9.0b and i need directx 9.0c to play. but when i download and install directx 9.0c, it says it's already instealled! i did the thing with the registry, and also what some of u had said, but each one of u are saying a different thing and i dunno what to do.. help me out?! :confused:

• 4 weeks later...
The two files attached in Nasheet post worked for me and i was able to install directx 9.0c. here is what i did:

i downloaded the two files attached above and placed them in directx 9.0c setup folder and executed dxsetup.exe . WORKED :)

Thanks to Nasheet for the tip.

oh man, MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD propz to you and Nasheet....this has been driving me nuts for a week and replacing those two files in the extracted directx 9.0c redist dir worked!!!!!! I am sooooo happy, thank you both a ton!!!

Hi Andy.. I'm not sure if Nasheet has already explained, but anyway, if it works for you.. i tried changing the registry value of the.... HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectX\version

from 4.09.00.0903 to 4.08.01.0801(it's the value from the original directx 8.1 version) and then tried installing directx 9.0c with the dlls from nasheet's attachment.. and it worked, at least for me..

So.. I did my part too..:)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

HI nasheed,

Thank you, the two files attached in your post worked for me and i was able to see the progression the installation of directx 9.0c.

DXDIAG still have Directx 9.0b with (4.09.0000.0904) DX9.0c ref. and it's directx 9.0c in Directx Happy uninstall.

But when i try to open Battlefield 2 game, is still ask me "DirectX version 9.0c or higther is requiered to run BF2. Please install DX9c and try again"

I can see the difference between my odl dxdiag.txt dx9b and the new one dx9c.

Please do you know where is the problem

Thank you

For us Direct X noobies out here...and want to play BF2 ... can you break down in steps where i am to be putting these files?...

Where is the Direcx 9.0c folder? ..do I have to create it? ... is it the folder that holds the installer?.. Let me know... Thanks.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...