Water wall

Carrotious

I am designing a water wall for a lobby space in 3DS max 7. See attached image to see kinda what i'm looking for. I want to create this water effect, initially I just need it as a still but would love to have it as an animation also. I need it to have a water transparency as the wall will have details on it that will need to be partially visible.

Anyone have any bright ideas?

Thanks

well, i think this is kinda complicated, coz i think you'll have to use particle system, and that'll take alot time to render with any render plugin (VRay, Mental ray...etc).

didnt try it b4 but i'm interested in what u'll get, so keep posting ;)

good luck

i'd of thought you'd be able to make something using a transparent or raytrace material with a single noise map controlling the bump/dispalcement, reflectivity, transpency and other attribrutes of the material, sorry can't think of the other attributes a standard material has of the top of my head!! You could then animate the noise map's properties over time to give an effect for the animation, or equally just change its mapped position over time

Model or map the details of the wall and see how it comes out.

It's rather vague cos i've never tried anuthink like it before, but thats how i'd try to begin with, you could always use a particle system, but like already said it'll take an age i'd guess to figure it all out.

good luck and keep us posted on how you're getting along.

i would make 3 different opacity images that have some of the 'waves' on them. make the waves a whiteish, and the rest black. map each image onto a plane. poistion the planes about a half inch apart. animate each map by dragging it across the plane, and making it loop. make the speed of each plane slightly different.

not a true water effect, but in an animation, or a still, it will fool the eye.

I have done 2 water walls in the past, both animated and still images. My early attempt in Viz actually just had a mesh plane over the top of the water wall that I deformed to have ripples. The funny thing about that one is that even though the mesh wasn't animated, the changing reflections and jitters inherent in 3D, made it look shimmery.

The more recent attempt with Max involved an opacity mapped particle system, which worked rather well. If you have Max and you haven't attempted any particle systems yet, they can be a little intimidating. But once you dive into it, it's not so bad.

I'll post examples later if you want.

Colin

I did 2 tests on this a while ago. One was using reactor to create a cloth that would be modified to fall and look like water. The other (a lot heavier, btw) was using Particle Flow+BlobMesh. I was able to animate the water quite easily to get a decent result. Of course, you need a very good machine to do this, especially the video card, cuz it's damn heavy on the viewport.

hi

i think that you could do a fake ( i mean with this :: easy, fast, not accurate but realistic with a bit of job)...

you could use 2 or 3 textures moving down mixed to achieve the look of the fast falling of water ( separated from the wall) and the slow falling down of water that is sliding over the wall

i repeat it's a fake but if you want one advice, in the day after tomorrow ( i think) they used realflow to simulate the sea entering in NY and when they tried to modify the simulation and they weren't getting the desired effect, they decided to fake the water with particles following the behaviour showed in the simulation fo realflow... i want to say that sometimes it's better a fake that a simulation that you cannot modify to be realistic or at least seem to be

luis

Here is an animation of something similar I did. In this case the camera is animated but you could definitely animate the texture instead. Mind you, I was not going for the running water effect, but if you speed it up it looks really convincing as a "water wall".

DivX (better quality): http://www.friendlyskies.net/AoI/sword-divx.avi

Xvid: http://www.friendlyskies.net/AoI/sword-xvid.avi

The texture is basically noise/turbulence in the bump channel, with specular reflections and shininess turned on. Diffuse color is a dark grey.

Hope that helps.

• 5 months later...