Who do both architectura projects and renderings?

Carlocki

I don't think I have ever said to a client " I'm very excited for you to see the working drawings, they will really explain what we have in mind".

When I want to show someone a design it is the rendering that begins to communicate the ideas. My portfolio mostly has renderings or photos of built work and usually the floor plans. I Think most people would be bored looking at sections and elevations, so I don't put them in.

Of the course the best way to experience architecture is to take your body into and move through that space. Photos are beneficial (along with plans) if you can't see a building in person. And if the building isn't built yet, or is just an idea, having a 3d rendering that approaches photo realistic quality can communicate a great deal.

I think as architect's and designer's we are limiting ourselves by not using computer generated models. I don't have the time or inclination to build multiple study models. For some offices they are essential, for me they take up resources and space, and generally require a short period of healing as some part of a digit inevitably gets sliced off by mistake.

As mentioned by another poster, the 3d model is a good and cheap way to double check our design aspirations. On a current job, for example, I have been able to check proportions and location of various architectural elements. I can make design changes while I work and I don't have to wait until the building is built to find out if I made the right decision. The client saves money, and the office doesn't get surprised by the design.

I have found recently, when implementing Revit early in a new project, that building a 3d model informed and altered the design solution. Having the model, plans and elevations all change in real time in Revit allowed me to see relationships in a different way and contributed to a few happy accidents which altered the design response. By pushing, pulling and cutting walls I ended with a building that had an overlapping knitting in one corner (sort of linke a dovetail joint) and interrelated planes and solids intersecting at the other end. All as a result of working in three dimensions. I wouldn't have seen the idea working in plan or elevation. And when the bids came in for that project the Architect pulled out the interior and exterior renders to show the client, to maintain their enthusiasum and keep them focused on the end result not just the expense.

Anyway, the software hasn't carved out more leisure time for me, but it has become an invaluable tool in the process of architecture. At some point or other all of our efforts (sketches, models, construction documents, and the building itself) are meant to communicate something. Computer generated models and renderings let me communicate better about the kind of buildings I want to make.

In the office I work in the Architect does the building part; engineering, permitting, and construction superivision. I do the design, visualization, and contruction documents. So to answer the orginal question, maybe you can't do both but the cg can be done in service of design. The design can be done in service to the architecture, and in the end would should get better buildings. At least I hope so or else I'm wasting my time in front of a computer screen 14 hours a day.

• 2 weeks later...

I am an intern architect that does design / production work / modeling and rendering / and IT services for the firm I work for. Sadly I only get paid as a typical intern :( I use modeling and hand sketching extensively for developing and conveying ideas to co workers, bosses, clients etc. Its nice to be able to come up with a concept, develop it using more detailed sketches, computer models and renderings (I do physical models too :) ) and then be able to do the construction documents as well. It keeps the process very fluid and I know all of the ins and outs of the project. may not be as efficient as passing the job all over the office but I think it makes for a nicer project

I was doing 3D rendering only and wanted to design more, got into a full time design job and that was fun. Rendering my own designs was great. After touring Europe for almost two years got back to my own business and start out as render artist, but offering out design work. Only thing is that people ask you for what you do, so I find myself doing more and more 3D work.

Ronald

I work for an architect, in-house, doing strictly architectural visualization. Our company is ~300 employees and our "arch viz" group is now at 5 persons. We work directly with architects/designers and offer suggestions if we think a design is lacking, but none of us have experience as architects. In fact, most of us only had experience in cad before jumping into architectural visualization :eek: