Vines anybody?

Jeff Mottle

Jeff - it's your lucky day!!! i got some pretty big bitmaps of thick ivy cover (including the alpha mask images) at a pretty good clear resolution too. Ideal for opacity mapping to ivy covered areas. I'll e-mail them to you first thing in the morning (wednesday 5th) when i get back to work.

here is a small example of them (used for the huge curved wall on the r/h side of the building, and used on the upper levels as that green screen you can see) -

14a.jpg

Originally posted by quizzy michiel quist:

marlin has some good ivy mappings, but i prefer to do it in 3D.. Particle system on an editable patch. Face map on the particle system with planes as particles.

tuin2.jpg

How do you come up with it ???

Did you find that particle system-trick yourself ?

yes its my own trick. You can ofcourse add more part. systems to the patch, with some brown leaves. the only disadvantage is that if you need to do an animation, you have to create a snapshot of the particle system(s), because the random rotation that you see is done with the rotation option in the particle system. But still you can get amazing results with it.

Hi quizzy and samp,

Particle systems are indeed useful, but a bit sloggy for animation. I prefer to scatter a very basic form (plane, cube,...) around another simple form. :)

Works great, specially with an opacity mapping.

To create Ivy: scatter a tilted plane ;)

rgds

nisus

thats also a good way to do it, but my background is allround animation and i used particle systems a lot before so..... By the way, the default scatter doesn't work allways with me, I cant seem to get it to work....

Hi samp,

I suggest you render in different plates/passes if your machine is too slow ;)

Or buy a new machine. Even the very cheap medion machines - every 6 months in Aldi / Liddle - are great renderfarm-animals. Wonderful components for an unbeatable price.

Not top-top-top-machines, but still much better than your pIII.

rgds

nisus

personally i think if used correctly, and with the transform scale options of scatter used wisely, it can be a superb tool. even on a slow pc!

as nisus said, leaves are a sinch -

find a good looking leaf (and it's alpha mask), then create a basic 3 sided single faced poly, then map this opacity map to it so it fits nicely.

so the leaf map is small in the middle of the poly, doesn't matter 1 bit.

selective face selection for the scattering on the low poly truck you've created can the make a pretty realistic looking tree in literally hundreds of faces compaired to thoudands.

Btw, the quest for the slowest pc goes on - my own pc at home is only a p100 laptop, 800x600 screen 256 colours and 32 mb ram !!!!

How sad is that? altho, being a poor pathetic struggling artist with a house and a shoppoholic girlfriend to support, what do you expect? :(

Hi strat,

Another extend to the technique is to opacity-map small planes that simulate 10-20leafs at a time. That way you'll have thousands of leafs and only a few hundreds faces. Another of my 'painters-alike'-tricks.

Eventually, I'll sign in for the slowest pc-contest too: I don't have a computer at home anymore since my P166 broke down last year...

(I have to admit that I don't miss it since I daily spent 12-16hours at the office - why should I need one at home?)

Anyway, I think I'm more lucky than strat because I spent my money myself ;-p (Unfortunately I do spent it of course... lol!)

rgds

nisus