Don't need no education?

STRAT

hi jake

it was my intention to be an architect when i left school, and i did 3 years in college getting basic quallification.

then i decided cg architecture more fun and pursued that instead. been doing it for last 10 years now.

i dont think becomming fully quallified is a nessesaty for cg architecture atall, but i'd at least get a basic qualification or sorts. you definately need this for ppl to take you seriously.

Guest juko101

How about advantages and disadvantages of being an architect in a CG vs. arch. firm? I just finished my third year of school at Mississippi State, and can just barely see the light at the end of the tunnel (at least, I think it's light). If one's intention is to make cgarchitecutre a career, are there enough advantages to make five or six years of architorture school worthwhile? I would be extremely interested to hear whether people think it has made a direct difference in pay, respect, etc.

Hi Jake,

I am a qualified architect but nowadays I spent my time visualising all day.

Personally, I see the study of architecture as a basic education after which one decides where to go with his/her life. I choose architectural visualisation, because I love it.

Being a qualified architect practising visualisation got lots of advantages:

- clients have more trust in you, especially when you propose some changes in design, colorscheme or any other artistic idea.

- you speak the same language as an architect: you can read a plan, elevation etc.

- you're perfectly able to interpret errors in plans and elevations because you know about construction too.

- you got a much better feeling on materials, colors, tactility and texturing.

- you understand concepts so you can translate these words into another medium more easily.

In fact, it's not really about having all these advantages, but about having lot's of trouble if you don't have them.

A full education might not be necessary, but at least some basic architectural training is necessary, imho.

In my experience, clients even see - within a second - whether an image is made by an architect or not. It has something to do with focus, storytelling, knowing what is important to show, skills on using and combining materials, feeling at home in a perspective world etc...

rgds

nisus

[ August 05, 2002, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: nisus ]

Guest juko101

Thanks for the responses. At this point, finishing school really is the path of least resistance. But 3 years of interning to boot? Ugh. I guess I keep hoping that someone will tell me that I should just drop out now and start doing the thing that I really like. Maybe this discussion will benefit someone else though.