Viz 2008 / Mental Ray

Tim Saunders

This is from the 'What's New' in Viz2008 Help:

• mental ray 3.5 software adds powerful rendering functionality to Autodesk VIZ 2008. Features include:
    • Create photorealistic sunlight, skylight, and skies with visible sun with the Sun & Sky solution.
    • The new mental ray Arch & Design material improves the image quality of architectural renderings and improves workflow and performance in general and make it easier for designers and architects to create effects such as rounded corners, blurred reflections, frosted glass, and glossy surfaces such as floors.
    • The new mental ray Car Paint material is ideal for re-creating the unique new-car look and feel, with four layers for pigment, metal flakes, clear coat, and, if the car's been on the road a bit, dirt. The same features are also available in the Car Paint shader.
    • Global illumination in mental ray is now far more accessible with final gather presets and easier-to-use controls.

[*] When rendering very large images from the command line you can now specify how images are to be split and stitched. See Command-Line Rendering Switches.

Well, I guess I shouldn't be that drastic. But I will deffinately dangle my feet a little. I am just SOOO tired of fighting the memory issues with vray lately. Ya it renders super quality, with lightning speed, and great material options at low resolution. But every scene we do that has a lot of different materials, furniture, different lighting fixtures, etc. has memory issues when it's time to render a 3000px image. I just miss the days when I first started using Vray wihout getting errors. Who knows maybe I just need to uninstall it and go back to an older version. It just seems a shame to leave all those cool new materials behind if I did backstep. I guess that's what I would be doing by switching to Mray, but it's worth exploring when it's free and all.

Oh I wouldn't say it's a back step.

The Arch&Design material is as good if not better than the Vray materials. Besides there are also a heap of other shaders available that will give unbelievable control over your renderings. IF thats what you are after.

Sure it would be great to have the proxie objects of Vray but I must say that that is possibly the only feature that I miss. Mray3.5 is a huge improvment over past versions and is very quick.

The Final Gather is very good, so much so that I havnt needed to touch photons since.

The sun and sky system is fantastic. What I also like with the mr Physical Sky shader is that it isn't limited to the environment slot and in itself whilst very simple and straight forward to use it is very powerful.

The Mentalray community has taken a leaf out of Vrays community book and is becoming more and more open, have you taken a look at the mymentalray.com , Masterzaps blog mentalraytips.blogspot.com and not to forget Jeff Pattons blog http://jeffpatton.cgsociety.org/blog/ a wealth of information

JHV

Well, I guess I shouldn't be that drastic. But I will deffinately dangle my feet a little. I am just SOOO tired of fighting the memory issues with vray lately. Ya it renders super quality, with lightning speed, and great material options at low resolution. But every scene we do that has a lot of different materials, furniture, different lighting fixtures, etc. has memory issues when it's time to render a 3000px image. I just miss the days when I first started using Vray wihout getting errors. Who knows maybe I just need to uninstall it and go back to an older version. It just seems a shame to leave all those cool new materials behind if I did backstep. I guess that's what I would be doing by switching to Mray, but it's worth exploring when it's free and all.

Keep us posted on how it goes.