3DS max 3ds max, it's all i hear about!!!!!!

chalk

Just a very small rant. This site has so many resources that have the potential to be very useful to me, and i come back here and check almost everything out time and time again....... but 90% of the time some artical or tutorial which looked great to start with boils down to a specific 3ds max tutorial, or only relates directly to that program in some way, either that or vray.

I'm trying to better my knowledge and renderings of cinema 4d for my archvis, its got the potential for amazing results but i can never find any indepth help when it come to archvis, and having a few tutorials, like internal and external lighting, and textures etc that are here in abundance for 3dsmax, for this program would be awesome! I'm sure some of the other user of 'non-3ds' programs probably feel the same.

And yes i'm aware the majority of people here probably use 3ds, but i've always gone for the underdog anyway, and after all this site is called cgarchitect, not 3dsmaxcgarchitect :)

There ya go. Rant over!

Chalk

It's the link between AutoCAD and 3dsMax/Viz that makes its use more prevalent in the architectural field. A rather large majority of construction documents are created with AutoCAD, and Autodesk has worked to develop a smooth workflow between the apps.

Here is my view as I know how to use from the demo's 3DS Max and C4D I also own Cheetah. Both Max and C4D have all the tools you need to make great Archviz renders. Max has better drawing tools than C4D imo. Here is my work with Cheetah: web.mac.com/mgm3d I like Cheetah but it lacks depth in the lighting tools and the renderer needs an upgrade. Archviz is a lot about style as well, not everything needs to be photo real to be good.

There are a bunch of C4D people here (this forum was very helpful when I was learning it) even though it's true that the all-Autodesk crowd is the majority. But if you ask questions on the C4D board you'll get responses.

I think part of the problem is that in the industry, the majority of the efforts are going into Max, so while Jeff will post news relating to any subject of interest to the people here, there's a lot more news available for Max. I bet Lightwave and Modo users feel the same way.

What can I say, Max is the most popular 3D program out there and Vray is the most popular render engine and unfortunately you chose a 3D app. that doesn’t have that big of a following. I'm sure C4 has a good forum and someone is bound to have some good tutorials you can use. This forum also has a C4D section and just doing a quick search I found this thread.

http://www.cgarchitect.com/vb/7729-c4d-tutorial-list.html

Good discussion at least :)

I totally understand why there's more efforts and info on 3ds max here.... more people use it. Simple. I chose C4D for a few reasons, one main one being price, but since ive been using it i've discovered the speed and workflow of the program beats any others ive tried. There's always fors and againsts and 3dsmax's big fors are it's popularity in the archviz field which gives it more support, and vray - which is awesome and there's a version for C4D coming out soon apparently - http://www.vrayforc4d.com i think.

I just think it would be nice if there was some tutorials for other programs as good as the ones for 3ds max here thats all. not too much to ask surely :) Some of those tutorials are ok but nothing special. What i really want is some nice tutorials for exteriors with focus on radiosity using advanced render and textures etc. some nice in depth stuff thats relevant to my program.

Anyway practice makes perfect and all that, im just posting this because the lack of c4d archviz stuff irritates me a bit.............. i think im just jealous of the 3ds bunch really :rolleyes:

Or just do what i did and use this site as an inspiration piece because I use maya and no one can help me on that. I have tried but they give the same ol anwsers lighting, shading bla bla, no help on how to fix that. So now i just use this site as a place to look at other work in the industry to compare what I am learning on my own to the rest of the world. I know there is a maya board here but one post every 6 months is just not doing it. So like they said i am sure there is other resources out there for you.

"People like 3ds so much because they dont have to model everything in architecture they just buy it." :p

Well, you not only one here, chalk.

Same I was rant about most of V-ray here that I dont have one. Most website tutorial section use V-Ray with 3D max and share light setting each other. I wish i had V-Ray plug in. I gotta learn use Metal ray some time but it alway took long time render. I only had to use scanline that make quicker render.

Never mind. What I can do and patince man.:)

I think the most important things in Archviz are high quality textures, bumpmaps etc., good lighting and good propogation of the scene. All of those things can be learned on any program and applied to any other with the obvious being the programs not having apples to apples tools. I know with Cheetah for example I have problems with lighting because it lacks volumetric lights and being able to include/exclude objects in the scene. I went to the book store though and got a book on lighting for cg in general and it has helped quite a bit. So, I would just apply the Max techniques that you can to C4D as they have similar tool sets.

I agree with Robert above. You can learn from tutorials for other software. The basic principles remain constant. Adopt and adapt my man!

Don't fret your use of C4D - I've been using it for arch viz since 1998 and version 5.2. There are a number of experienced users on this board that will help if you ask the questions.

yeah i agree with a lot of whats been said here.

Most of the stuff i've read, like general info on lighting etc i've managed to convert to C4D. mainly though it's exterior renders using radiosity thats baking my noodle right now, they never seem to look right, well not as good as 3ds max ones anyway :( It would be kinda reassuring to see a stunning image done in c4d and a tutorial that goes with it to show me what im doing wrong, or not doing at all!

anyways no big deal really. I got Digital lighting and rendering (the book) which is an awesome example of techniques that cover the subject in general and not to application specific.

And whats a parallax correction camera? Sounds crazy.

Parallax correction. If you look at Architectural photos by Julius Schulman as an example the verticle walls of the structures are at right angles to the ground plane. This is usually done with a 4x5 camera that has the ability to adjust the lens plane and film plane seperately. Nikon made what they called a PC lens (parallax correction) in 35mm to do the same thing. If you look at a lot of CG Archviz you'll notice the verticle planes are not at right angles to the ground plane. This is a problem with CG for Architecture, you can't get the beautiful shots you can with 4x5 or a PC lens.

Or you could use a hack technique and keep the camera and its target at the same elevation. Render the image at a 1x1 aspect ratio and crop to suit. This works in EVERY app and is a very good example of not needing tutorials for specific apps.

Or you could use a hack technique and keep the camera and its target at the same elevation. Render the image at a 1x1 aspect ratio and crop to suit. This works in EVERY app and is a very good example of not needing tutorials for specific apps.

i've started playing with the old school method in Max. ...i am wondering if it makes for a better view. .....or at least more of a natural feel to the view. i am really not sure if it makes a noticeable difference, or if it is just an extra step in the process, taking up valuable time.

You can get the walls and ground at right angles in any 3d app I've tried, but I was an Architectural photographer and the 4x5 and pc lens will give you angles that you can't get by any other means that I know of. So I think when C4D gets that happening it will be great.

The Max dominance is something you'll just get used to if this site holds any interest for you.

It is the market leader for our work and the content here reflects that.

I use LightWave and even though it was recently overhauled to have a huge range of camera options and properties (including real lenses, surface baking, etc, etc) a range of realistic materials plus an incredibly powerful material editor, fast radiosity solutions and caching and many more features that apply to our work, you hardly saw a murmur on the news section.

The same applies to FPrime, a one of a kind render engine for LW with the best interactive previewer available. You just don't hear about these things here-and if you did it wouldn't seem right :)

Just flit between this and your software specific sites and you'll get the best of both worlds.

OK, just a thought, if anyone is good at programming 3dsmax, I would think it wouldn't be too difficult to create a camera that could adjust for parralux. Maybe hit the VRay site, or CGTalk and ask the question? Has anyone attempted to build a camera that would allow deviation from a flat focal plane?

I would have thought that the case, but as I haven't had a chance to play with VRay yet I didn't know. I haven't seen the settings in max to adjust the max camera for camera tilt.

"3DS max 3ds max, it's all i hear about!!!!!"