To extrude a closed spline?

archkre

Stupid question: When I try to extrude a closed spline in 3dsMax out of

an imported acad closed polyline sometimes it works and the extrusion is

capped correctly and sometimes it is not, just makink a hollow edges

extrusion.

Is the direction in which the polyline was created: clockwise or

counterclockwise got to do with it or what??

Thanks

Usually you get that hollow line when you extrude if some of the vertex's aren't welded together. Just going into the splines vertex sub objects --> select all the vertex --> then right click and there should be a weld vertex option. This should make it a proper exturded solid then.

EDIT: If you still get the hollow extrude then have a good look at all your vertex, it could be some are overlapping or some are at a higher/lower z position.

As the previous post pointed out, it could be that if your splines have Bezier handles, some of them that possibly "back-over" themselves (i.e. reverse direction). The extrude modifier cannot reconcile a solid form that's basically inside-out in places when it tries to construct a rational 3d object.

Use the Shape Check utility - highy invaluable for working with demented splines, particularly, splines that have been imported into 3dsmax, or that have been derived from 3d oblects (e.g. edges converted to shapes). Detaching a shape from a 3d object's edges without selecting the "Linear" checkbox will produce Bezier curves/handles by default.

Overlapping line segments (that are effectively invisible for all intents) are also a good thing to check for.

Oh, also, spline direction won't prevent an extrude modifier from working, but it may affect the face normals of the object created.

I agree with the other posters.

Just remember - you are importing something from another program that is not native to 3DS. Yes, they are incredibly compatible, but different programs.

Bring the spline in and before you extrude it, do an inspection and some clean-up work. Select the object, go to vertix mode, select all the vertices, hit the weld box and play with the value in there. If you start combining verts (without the spline changing shape in a horrible manner), then you could be fixing your problem.

If the spline is meant to be level, select all the verts, switch to the TOP view, and hit the VIEW ALIGN button.

When the spline is happy and clean inside of 3DS Max, then start extruding it.

An absolute killer of splines is having your CAD information placed too far from the origin. I find that some draftsmen don't really care where they are working when they set up an image and I've found plenty of houses drawn in millimetres, which are upwards of 100m from the origin.

This will destroy your curved lines when you import to max. Before you import, make sure that in CAD you select everything you are going to work with and move it to the coordinates "0,0,0". Turn on the UCS icon and make sure that it lies in a comfortable posision in relation to the drawing. This proceedure will solve many problems of this nature.

• 4 years later...
Usually you get that hollow line when you extrude if some of the vertex's aren't welded together. Just going into the splines vertex sub objects --> select all the vertex --> then right click and there should be a weld vertex option. This should make it a proper exturded solid then.

EDIT: If you still get the hollow extrude then have a good look at all your vertex, it could be some are overlapping or some are at a higher/lower z position.

Hi,

Your answer saved my day! Tnks