Rome wasnt welded in a week

vizwhiz

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19169594/site/newsweek/

Rome Reborn, announced at a ceremony at Rome’s City Hall hosted by Mayor Walter Veltroni, turns serious scholarship into cool graphics. The model depicts the city as it looked in late antiquity, during the reign of Emperor Constantine the Great. To insure accuracy, the team consulted leading scholars to refine high-resolution 3-D renditions for about 30 of the most famous buildings, inside and out. Designers based the 10,000 other buildings—apartments, baths, warehouses—on precise laser scans of the plaster of Paris model of the ancient city housed at the Museum of Roman Civilization.

excerpt from article

cool, huh?

when in Rome do as The Romans do, when in France french.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19169594/site/newsweek/

excerpt from article

cool, huh?

when in Rome do as The Romans do, when in France french.

Very cool... I was a bit disappointed in the quality of the models. They seem to be basic primitives with texture maps. I was hoping to see more detail, but given the scope of the project (an entire city), that's a big ask.

Of course, one of our own here is re-creating the 1900 World's Fair in France... properly, might I add, with nice models.

i Think Lemog should get some kind of award for his extreme passion for 3d

whether he ever applies for any kind of award (or not) is Totally irrelevant

maybe some kind of 'Best of CGArchitect 2007 SIGGRAPPH' award or something

a LifeTime achievement award of somekind

Totally awesome

my 2 euros

randy

A number of years ago I visited the folks at DXNet in Toronto while they were building Virtual Toronto for the Olympic Bid - all on SGI and displayed in real time. It was pretty impressive to see a group of people commit to building every single building ina city, even if only the major ones are accurate.