Using AutoCAD files in VIZ?

Viper04

Hello.

I'm trying to start off on the right foot in doing 3d exterior renderings of buildings.

My question are:

1. Is it better/simpler to use autocad to draw the floor plans then use VIZ File Link and extrude the walls and add windows/doors/lighting ect OR is it better to use Architectural AutoCAD and create all the wall types doors/windows ect in Arch CAD then file link in VIZ and use VIZ for lighting and materials?

Basically should I just use CAD to draw the floor plan and let VIZ do everything else or use Arch CAD and create all 3d stuff in there and use VIZ to add materials lighting ect?

Thanks

Peter

they both make sense......use the method that you are most comfortable with.

i personally use autocad for most of my modeling (then link or import) but that is the point - it is my personal preference.

best of luck

paul

Hello.

It just seems that there is more work to do when only using autocad. You have to re-create /extrued the walls add openings door windows ect. Is there any issues in mapping materials in VIZ when using Arch AutoCAD? (ie window walls and door/windows from Arch AutoCAD instead of VIZ windows/doors?)

i don't see why there would be any issues with ADT data (or architectural autocad nowadays) in VIZ.

as long as the objects import or link correctly, material mapping should be the same.

i've never used the door/window systems in VIZ (since i model in autocad mostly). maybe somebody else can tell you whether VIZ is better for that.

or try it out yourself and see which you prefer, or are more comfortable with.

I had issues with Arch Desktop a couple years back when trying to use VIZ window/door material templates. The Material IDs from Arch Desktop were different but when I found the numbers I was able to map the windows/doors.

I think I'll start /w Arch Desktop and model everything there and bring into VIZ vi File Link Manager.

I plan on using Metal Ray for rendering and I might look at V-Ray if its worth it, if that makes a difference on what CAD I'll use.