Completely invisible material

CookiE

Hello,

Just having trouble making a transparent material, im not talking like glass or something i mean so transparent that its not even visible no reflections refractions nothing.

I am trying to make a wireframe model within a animation of solid objects and have been told to use vrayedgetex but all that does for me is leave the object solid and and have bold lines. Which is great other than you can still see the bulk of the object not just the wireframe lines.

This as you will know is easy in scanline as you just go to the material and tick the wire tick box problem solved. But i need the vray for the rest of it.

If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated

Cheers Caleb

Hello,

Just having trouble making a transparent material, im not talking like glass or something i mean so transparent that its not even visible no reflections refractions nothing.

I am trying to make a wireframe model within a animation of solid objects and have been told to use vrayedgetex but all that does for me is leave the object solid and and have bold lines. Which is great other than you can still see the bulk of the object not just the wireframe lines.

Cheers Caleb

Not quite sure what you're saying but try put the vrayedgetex to your refraction slot. Change the base colour to grey and the line colour to black(or the other way round). Hopefully that's something you want. Or change the line to world measurement instead of pixels. Cheers.

I was hoping not to have to do that but I guess thats by the sounds my best option

Don´t know how to make a wireframe vray material. I did it this way:

- exporting the model to autocad

- converting the mesh to a region (draw a region)

- explode the region

- now you have lines only

- export to Max

- enable and define thickness

www.einherzfuerpixel.de

This is what i want to create in vray (have used scanline for this)

scan.jpg

This is what happens if i use Vray and the vrayedgetex material

vray.jpg

The lines are there which is great and have control over colour etc, but the object is still solid and you cant see through it like in scanline

post images, they really are worth a thousand words.

...but, did you make the refraction of the material white? then you can turn off shdow casting for the object, and turn off reflections in max's object properties.

all you need to do is place the vrayedgetex in the refraction slot, change the color inside the map from pure white to pure black, and set the IOR to 1.0 (which disables the bending of light). you can control the transparency of the wires with the color in the map and the thickness of the wires as well

Thats perfect thank you

I was doing pretty well all that just putting the edgetex in the diffuse rather than refraction

all you need to do is place the vrayedgetex in the refraction slot, change the color inside the map from pure white to pure black, and set the IOR to 1.0 (which disables the bending of light). you can control the transparency of the wires with the color in the map and the thickness of the wires as well