Best 3DS Training Available?

RyanSpaulding

Hey guys,

I've decided with my tax return to pimp out my 3DSMax skills...not only in the arch viz field, but just general 3DS knowledge...I'm into ocean stuff, wanna learn reactor, organic modeling in max (I have a pressing desire to model a Great White Shark) and all that.

Is there a general concensus on what the best 3DS training is out there? I'm also using VRay so would be interested in that training as well...

Have you considered picking-up Mudbox for your organic modelling? Considering how quickly you could produce complex furniture, plantings, sculptures, etc, etc in a short amount of time...for under $700 it's fairly economical. I realise you're after 3DS skills, but it's something I've been considering lately instead of buying the same old stock models from Dosch et al.

I'd consider Mudbox maybe...tho I ultimately want to have that skill in Max...I may even move to ZBrush for organics...looks like a slick program...but I want training in things like Reactor, Fur, ect.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I think I'm gonna go for:

Lynda.Com - 3DSMax9 Essentials

Lynda.Com - 3DSMax9 Modelling

Digital-Tutors - Intro to ZBrush3

I have the Gnomon VRay stuff already...but think I'd benefit from Brian's online training...I'll look into that.

I would suggest brian smiths classes online. live training and well worth the money. I am taking my second class with him 3ds architectural content in a few weeks but he also teaches an advanced class. His vray training is also very good it is pre-recorded and you can watch it for a year as much as you want.

I think I'm gonna go for:

Lynda.Com - 3DSMax9 Essentials

Lynda.Com - 3DSMax9 Modelling

Digital-Tutors - Intro to ZBrush3

Lynda.com rocks IMO, 30 bucks a month and you can view all the tutorials, and they have tuts for just about every ap you can think of. If I had time to just kill on instruction that would be my one stop shop.

• 3 months later...

I'm still having problems finding tutorials or training dvds on the more advanced features like character studio, pflow, and motion mixer. Now, these general vids are nice...but I wanna learn the advanced stuff...

Any other ideas now that it's months later?

Have you checked out 3D Buzz's Fundamentals DVD, I have it and they cover every aspect of max including reactor and pflow, also for Pflow, you should check out Allan Mckays Site. He is the Pflow king, plus Pete Drapers book on Deconstructing the elements

http://www.3dbuzz.com/xcart/product.php?productid=38&cat=0&page=1&featured

http://www.allanmckay.com/tutorials.html

http://www.allanmckay.com/products.html

http://www.amazon.com/Deconstructing-Elements-3ds-Max-Second/dp/024052019X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209744533&sr=1-1

Any other ideas now that it's months later?

You can always just create your own project out of one of these areas you want to improve in. Pick something challenging that you haven't done before and give yourself a deadline.

Identify what part of the assigment is the most difficult and start there.

I am certain that you will figure out most of it on your own and perhaps 10% of it will stump you and that's what forums and friends are for...;)

What you learn on your own will really stick in your head when you have to fight and scratch for it every step of the way!

Thanks everyone for the replies. These were actually more along the lines of what i want. The CG Academy stuff looks nice!

Again, thanks!

EDIT: It'd be really cool to get a training sticky-thread in these forums where training is posted so this question doesn't pop up as often.

Edited by RyanSpaulding