ArchExteriors Question

RyanSpaulding

Hey guys,

A few months back I purchased two of these discs and have a quick question. Do they discuss how they did these anywhere? I'm interested in some of the techniques...such as, one of the files has grass which has the following modifier stack:

UVWMapping

UVWMapping

Edit Poly

Noise

Turbosmooth

Editable Poly

This grass looks amazing...there's no displacement or explanation. Am I missing a thread or link somewhere that the users discuss their techniques?

No, those discs are sold as is with no explanation, it's up to you if you want to reverse-engineer their work.

They must have a large number of people generating content for them because from my experience the number of different techniques used vary quite a bit from scene to scene. Some of them are clean and some of them are really messed up. And yes the grass that I've seen is great but the mapping technique was totally whacked.

I'm assuming it's partially a metric conversion that has it so weird, but seriously, who maps an object @ 923"x917" and then switches the U tiling count to 11.34 and the V tiling to 6.27??????

weird!

Ive seen those disks but I dont see a need to purchase someone else's model. I think someone should come up with a tutorial to purchase that has a complete house model from the ground up explaining everything on video. I would be that it would sell pretty good.

Well....that sucks.

Ok, question #2. I noticed that a lot of these files contain 'normal maps'...does anyone here use them? I thought the only purpose of a normal map was to add detail w/o jumping the geometry amount...but they seem to be used extensively on concrete, stucco, and wood in these files. Any ideas?

Ok, does anyone have Volume 5 of ArchExteriors?

What is going on with Model #3's grass? I've tried to isolate it...but just cannot figure it out. It's rediculous. It looks SO real, but I see no displacement...and it has the indication he uses fur in the preview window, but there's no fur modifier either. The geometry preview shows it has some sort of geometric change.

Anyone have any ideas? It's driving me nuts.

http://www.evermotion.org/comm/ae05/archexteriors_vol_5.pdf

^^ There is the PDF. Image is below.

Grouped bits, but nothing is named. All objects have similar names with a sequential number at the end.

So there isn't objects named "brick" and "grass"...they'd be "ArchExteriors_03_Object_94". Kind of annoying.

I'm not buying any more of them. Kind of a rip-off when you have to reverse engineer everything and there are no explanations. They tend to even crash max when I render them at even low sizes and qualities...and I have a Quad core with 3GB ram, GeForce 8800...

A guy at the office bought the third of them, I think. I checked one of the scenes and found it quite disappointing. It was hell heavy, not nearly optimized, took forever to render. C'mon, you don't need to be an expert to know that very high settings tend to produce good GI, and very high-poly models will look good. Just my 2 cents.