BIM Software

UAG

That's just the thing though; we use it as a design tool every day. Did you look at the images that Derek posted, those are pretty complex projects with lots of irregular shapes and they don't seem to be causing him to many problems.

If you really want to know how it works you have to use it for at least a few months. Apparently you won't take our word on the subject so test it your self for longer than a few days and see if what we're saying is the truth or not. You can't expect to tinker with programs like this for a few hours and then think you understand everything about them.

You should try VectoWorks.

"VectorWorks Architect's approach to BIM lets you improve your design process instead of trying to replace it"

Sounds good! ;-) From a quick overview reading, It sounds like they are approaching the solution in a unique way... So do they offer a trial period for the package? I'm not seeing it.

Did you look at the images that Derek posted, those are pretty complex projects with lots of irregular shapes and they don't seem to be causing him to many problems.

Very compelling. 10 years of experience speaks volumes though!

You can't expect to tinker with programs like this for a few hours and then think you understand everything about them.

Comon... Obviously. I'm just trying to wrap my head around the 'overall conceptual approach' which I intemperate to be sort of 'upside down' with all the hierarchical detail decisions being made 'right away'... In other words to even create any object you have to FIRST define and categorize it in detail . That's great when your product systems and building shapes are typical and repetitive...

To be a broken record: I'm trying to understand how to unlock the power of the 'custom family' because I totally understand how the 'typical preloaded family' works (and can be edited) but my perception is to do anything like Derek is doing your forced to create your own custom parametric family...

This is very different from my typical modeling approach where the object is simply a set of data points created with a 'toolset' that presides on a layer. It's just an object that may only have a simple parameter (or no parameters!) like glass, mullion, masonry, metal, etc... I don't have to make sure that all of it's data is correct and that it resides in the right family set etc, etc, I can edit and make those decisions down the road.

Again, 'I wish' there was a solution where could use ACAD to create my 3D data set and then turn it into a BIM... Does that exist or is it possible with any of these systems? 99.9% of my models are simply polylines and solids... It would be very easy to assign the appropriate parameters to the model after quickly generating it... I can't be alone... It's extremely hard to drop decades of experience and conform to a new tool set.

To be honest... I think I confused the issue by playing the 'how long card' (my apologies) because IF A DESIGN IS COOKED and your moving toward presentation I know we all could beat each other to the finish line WITH OUR OWN TOOL OF CHOICE. nuff said.

Nothing designed here is conventional. We design, as much as we can. In those ways we obtain our benefits of the modeling tools: Basic Modeling, Solid Modeling and Nurbs. All those elements can be linked to worksheets, and can have records attached, converting them to objects with information.

I don't know if they have a trial version. But i think they have a money back policy.