Questions to the staff...

Eric Sosa

sorry if this issue have been pointed before.

I'm a little confused about the meaning of having "Finished work" and "Work in progress"... when people post on "Finished work" their work (which is suppose to be finished, but it does not seem to be finished after all) but asking for critics!..:rolleyes:, why do you want critics when your work is suppose to be, just that...FINISHED!

to my understanding, to post critics HERE, in this very section, is up to members will.

please, post your work finished or unfinifished FOR CRITICS OR COMMENTS under "WORK IN PROGRESS", then whenever you beleive it's finished, post it HERE!

Hi Eric

WIP forum speaks for itself :) but when peeps post in the FINISHED forum it's as you say, as far as they're concerned they're posting a final image. But it still gets crits. This is valuable to the artist either to get a different opinion or perspective, or to aide him/her in his/her next image they produce. But it's still a finished image.

What you're talking about maybe is a final gallery section, where it's a forgone conclusion the image is actually 'finished', and wouldn't be open for crits.

btw, you originally posted this in the wrong forum :p

thanks for the explanation Stephen.

but my remarc was maily pointing about people posting images/work and ASKING for critics in the "FINISHED WORK" ... rather then members willing to comment/critic the same image....valuable point to receive critics about your "finished" work anyways.

...lets put it this way. any of us could post tens of images to receive critics and that would make this endless. ...fishing for compliments?, to me is just that what some people do and I do NOT feel like wasting my time making comments over those images.

...well, perhaps it's just me who sees it this way...apologizes :)

I understand your point, however I agree with Strat. Posting work in Final has two implications, 1 the project is finished and signed off so its posted here to shared and 2 the project is finished in your own eyes, you are happy with it so you post it to grow from others opions.

I myself have posed stuff here that I felt was finished, and very quickly realise how much isnt finished or just plain missed by peoples crits.

In a way it is rather redundant to ask for crits, as by postin work , either in WIP or final you are automatically opening yourself up for comment. Whats more important than the crits themselves is how you deal with them. Do you feel insulted or do you take on board whats being said and devolope as an artist?

In the same way no-one is forcing you to comment on any work, but sould you comment then it should be constructive both in praise or dislike. Say why you do or dont like the image, what works and what doesnt. Its simple to say "Thats Crap" or "Great" but it takes a bit of though to say why. Its that though what we are looking for when we post, and not just to get a bit of an ego massage.

There have been many images posted by well respected artist (both there and other forums) that falls sort of their usual high standards. However many feel that just because so and so posted it must be good so I'll say its good. This is not helpful to both the poster and other forum users, because quite easily there standards drop and so does others who try to emulate them.

On the other side there are some who post work that may not be good but its clear that they have tried. It is important for those people to hear and learn how to improve. I have followed a few peoples progress here and its amaising to see the growth they are going through. I tell them so. I remeamber when I was first starting out, I though I was good until it was pointed out where I was going wrong and what to fix. I look back and cringe at some of the suff I posted before. At the time I felt it good enough, I have reread some of the comments, that at the time stung, and now better understand what was being said.

If you dont have any thing to say, the dont say anything. Silence speaks louder than words. Just look at those posts where no comments are made, its interesting to see how quickly some of those images get reposted in the WIP section.

JHV

When someone posts in the Final Image section it should mean that they are finished with that image and don't intend to work on it any longer. If someone posts a crit and the artist feels they should make changes based on that crit then that image should be moved to the WIP section. If on the other hand the artist doesn’t make changes then the image is indeed finished. Like others have said, asking for crits of your work doesn’t constitute a WIP, the artist is simply asking what other people think of their work. I don't see how this is conflicting with final image status.

...lets put it this way. any of us could post tens of images to receive critics and that would make this endless. ...fishing for compliments?, to me is just that what some people do and I do NOT feel like wasting my time making comments over those images.

Well.... I really like it when people compliment my work in the finished section. When Ive done work Im proud of, I DO want to show it off and get opinions. There is satisfaction in that, even if it is a guilty pleasure.

I also know that when I compliment someone else's work, they will get a warm fuzz from that, so I pay my respects to my peers when I get the chance and something really impresses me.