64bit. best options?

we want to upgrade to 64bit in the office here. we use macs and pcs. but the answer isn't too simple though :(

PC OPTION - upgrade from XP32bit to 64bit. Trouble is, MS announced that support for XP will soon end. Also, finding XP64 in the UK isn't straight forward. It's OEM (if you can even find it), so you must purchase hardware with it. not the ideal option all round.

MAC OPTION - isn't one really. Even though Leopard is fully 64bit, the graphics software isn't, and wont be any time soon either.

so what's the best solution in theory? Vista64 i'm guessing. But like a lot of companies, we're not upgrading until we're sure it's safe to do so. But, is it?

Does anyone use Vista64? can anyone give any user info on it? we've no worries about getting a single seat in, but if it's totally going to hex us up we'd soon enough not bother. I'm not too interested in printers or scanners not working, only my 3d and 2d graphics softwares.

What's the best 64bit upgrade option? what's the opinion?

thanks

You can still get Windows XP 64bit.

Try http://www.scan.co.uk

I brought lots of OEM software yes legally not ebay copies.

I think your best route is to upgrade as you go along & replace/upgrade as required. Bear in mind that not all your software will be 64 bit yet & the main sticking point is really the drivers.

Even though support (might) end for XP this year, its pretty soild now and there will be considerable number of stuidos still using this OS.

after a bit of research i'm more in the thinking of vista64 to be honest. seems solid and stable, just eats RAM. not too bothered about scanners and printers not working, just about my s/w working.

i know c4d is in 64bit, as will vray soon be. autocad 2000? dunno. and photoshopCS? should be.

after a bit of research i'm more in the thinking of vista64 to be honest. seems solid and stable, just eats RAM. not too bothered about scanners and pronters not working, just about my s/w working.

i know c4d is in 64bit, as will vray soon be. autocad 2000? dunno. and photoshopCS? should be.

From AutoDesk FAQ..

7. Is there a native AutoCAD 2008 64-bit version available?

Yes, there is a native AutoCAD 2008 64-bit version available. Local language availability varies, please check with your local Autodesk reseller for details.”

Apparently 2008 is already 64 bit.. Well theres an option to load that version. Although I think that is only Vanilla Autocad, and not AutoCAD architecture.

But AA 2009 will be available in 32 and 64

As for photoshop on a 64 bit, plenty of people are using that with no problems. Adobe will change over at some point it seems, just not yet..!

after a bit of research i'm more in the thinking of vista64 to be honest. seems solid and stable, just eats RAM. not too bothered about scanners and pronters not working, just about my s/w working.

PS-CS3 should be 64bit, but I don't think it is. I don't remember there being a special install on my 64bit machine, and I bought it just a few months ago. It certainly runs wells. Also, recently someone (forgot who) was asking why Premiere was only using one core of an 8-core to output animation. I tested and found the same behavior. So I don't think the Adobe products are specific 64bit apps.

Cinema uses OpenGl, which is great. Vista hates OpenGl. While MS may be discontinuing support for XP soon (big mistake, PR-wise), what does 'support' mean from MS? Not much. Have you ever had a problem and tried to call Microsoft for an answer? No more service packs? They were never writing very many of those to begin with. My guess is there will be enough of what you need available for years based on the installed base of XP and the general knowledge out there. Microsoft is not your friend.

I went with XP-64, it's been great. I hope to avoid Vista, though I doubt I will be able to forever.

i'm not interested in buying and running the new AC in 64 bit, just using my old existing 32 bit autocad2004 (not 2000 as i wrongly stated :p ) in a 64 bit vista environment.

You can run older versions of AutoCAD in Vista 32, running in XP comp mode with no major problems, but as for 64 Vista, I just dont know..:confused:

Its beeing 2 months that I'm using Vista64,I've never had any problem with it except for one of my projects which needed more than 8 gb ram but I wasn't able to use virtual memory on vista64 and I used Xp64 for that project.

Now I'm using Vista64 with 8gb ram without virtual memory.

I'm using 3Dsmax 2008 64 bit and Autocad 2008 32 bit ( it works on vista64 and xp64 without any problem )

btw there is new Autocad 2009 64 bit coming :)

Vista is so cute! I got a new hp and it came installed. I have had a few problems but nothing major. But it has all these "gadgets" which are pc equivalent of post it notes. So you can put up all your pictures of your cats playing with string and make it a little slide show. Or little reminders like "world best administrative assistant". You can even put up a clock that looks like a real clock.

The real pain I have had is my ipod seems to choke with vista. Every time I plug it in it freezes. So far the only software I have not been able to install is Quickbooks I don't really want to pay to upgrade but the version I have is not functional under vista. Or at least so they claim it may be just a ploy to get me to upgrade.

Its beeing 2 months that I'm using Vista64,I've never had any problem with it except...

Kawa

I noticed your post is your first here--and from Iraq! That's fantastic, I'm so glad to see signs of progress, like architectural work going on. Welcome!

Now, what do you mean you can't use virtual memory under Vista? That seems like it would be a big problem.

I would receommend xp64 all the way. I have had no problems whatsoever, not even with incompatible drivers. Its a slightly tweaked version of windows server2003, which is solid. As far as I know, there are no perfomance improvements in vista, just added furry dice and go-faster-stripes, both of which slow it down. In our profession I think the engine is more important than the paintwork.

Kawa

I noticed your post is your first here--and from Iraq! That's fantastic, I'm so glad to see signs of progress, like architectural work going on. Welcome!

Now, what do you mean you can't use virtual memory under Vista? That seems like it would be a big problem.

Thanks Ernest, yes there is progress here and we are growing too fast,but by here, I mean Kurdistan region not south of Iraq.

about my virtual memory problem on vista64, I know its hard to belive that, but every time programs like 3dsmax needed to use virtual memory, they act the same way when virtual memory is disabled, I even tried with notepad,the same happend after reaching close to 8gig memory , even notepad didn't used virtual memory.

btw I have vista64 on my workstation now and it works fine with little projects but if I need more than 8gig memory I have to use XP64.

I've been using Vista 64 for a few weeks now with a new machine - dual 2.5 xeon's, fire gl V7600, 8 gigs of RAM, 2 WD raptors and an additional 500gig hd.

I've had no problems with Vista.

I think less and less support will be given to XP 64, and finding future drivers for your gear might be difficult.

Our studio is in the same boat - but probably going to tie the upgrade to 64bit with a replacement of most workstations this year. We've been using XP, with our only experience with Vista is on a meagre laptop in reception with 1gb ram, 2.0ghz.

As an experiment, Yesterday we loaded it up with just on 100 programs, (YES THE TASKBAR WAS VERY FULL) including busy media players WMP, Quicktime, Itunes, VLC, DIVX, OneCare virus scanning, email and chat windows, Office Word, Powerpoint and Excel, PDF documents, smartphone syncronising, and some 52 browser windows galore, and happy to say that since installing Vista in August 07, including yesterday, this lappy has not crashed ONCE.

In the off chance an application has stopped responding to a mouse click, it has ALWAYS worked itself out quickly and i've never had to kill a process using the Task Manager. Also, i don't recall having any issues with scanners, our office printers or other devices, only a single random issue with exporting PDF's using an old version of Acrobat (2006).

Not an MS diehard fan but i've got to hand it to this very surprisingly stable platform, and likely to insist on vista64 on the new workstations.

I think less and less support will be given to XP 64, and finding future drivers for your gear might be difficult.

I would have to agree with that statement. I've been running XP64 for two years now and found it reliable though finding drivers is starting to become a problem. I have a HP lasejet that I can't use because there is no driver and a modem causing some problems through its driver. Last week I installed a Blu-ray drive and though I can create blu-ray disks, I can't view them because of driver and software issues.

However, I am still wary of upgrading to Vista just yet as I am running Boxx workstations and I don't see Vista being offered on any of those.

Jim

I'm running Vista 64 with reasonable success, though there are a few general annoyances that crop up that quite frankly did not occur with XP on the same systems. I only really went with Vista because I didn't want to be landed with an out of date OS, (XP), which was probably the right decision, but it cost me a lot of time putting right various compatibility issues in the early days.

If your stuck for places to buy XP64, Strat, then take a look at Aria:

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Software/Operating+Systems/Microsoft+Windows+XP+Professional+64bit+OEM?productId=17981

Looks like they have a discount on at the moment, so might be worth a look. I've bought all my OS's from them with no problems.

The real pain I have had is my ipod seems to choke with vista. Every time I plug it in it freezes.

I don't use an iPod but I understand there is a hotfix that deals with a Vista/iPod issue. Have you installed SP1 yet?

• 4 weeks later...
I believe so, yes.

Don't know how well it would run, though.

If you're pushing memory limits in the 64-bit version, the same file may not want to run in the 32-bit environment.

Understood, thank you.

Just My 2 Cents....

I have a Vista 32 and 64 I have only had a couple minor problems with them.

I have Autocad 2007 On both and it works great on both of them. Even though there was a warning message saying that this program has know compatability issues (on first boot). . But I have seen no issues. I am also running 3ds Max 9 on my 32 bit os and it is great. but I have to get a 64 bit version for the 64 bit os... I installed the max on my 64 bit os, and it wouldn't evan start.

But all of the Adobe CS3 stuff is great on both.

I am wondering about Vray on a Quad core 64 bit os.. I am makeing one right now and will have it up and running in about a month or so.. Or sooner if funds permit. has anyone had any problem's getting Vray to use all four cores?