Interactive Vray Render

Koper

Gotta say, every interactive rendering I've seen or demo'D has been complete rubbish. It always looks cool; when the screen shot examples are 100px x 80px! :rolleyes:

Once you actually fire it up and do anything remotely larger, the image looks worse than my old Atari...

Am I crazy here? Does anyone know of one of these programs that actually works and gets you good resolution at anything larger than a postage stamp? I'm truly ready to be amazed. It's just the hype surround some of these interactive tools is astounding.

Frankly, the only way I do interactive stuff is importing my standard VRay animation scenes into Flash, and controlling movement choices/direction via actionScript.

Yeah. People often think of realtime as a final rendering coming out in like 5 seconds or less. The nice thing is that using this technique (yes, a technique, since it's pretty much based on the existing LightCache PPT technology, AFAIK) one is able to tell how a rendering is going to look like in very little time, saving a lot of time. Simple but nice.

The whole time I was looking at the video's I was thinking how close the interactive preview looked to Maxwell's preview. I'm not comparing the two, Vray is leaps and bounds ahead of Maxwell but the noise produced by both look similar ;). I can't wait for this to come out; I expect you will have to have a pretty powerful machine to take full advantage of it. If you have distributed rendering capabilities then you will be even better off!

hahaha, just used your name in a post!!

So have you used it and do you know any other details??

It is pretty serious when you say 'blown away',

now I am on the edge of my seat and awaiting for .............?

Gotta say, every interactive rendering I've seen or demo'D has been complete rubbish. It always looks cool; when the screen shot examples are 100px x 80px! :rolleyes:

Perhaps you should take a look at Fprime: http://www.worley.com/E/Products/fprime/fprime.html.

That is what this Vray implementation is clearly based on.

That one's been around for almost a decade now and works very well, has been from the start. Renders to large resolution easily, even in preview. Only for really complex scenes it starts to go slow, but still you can zoom in interactively and will refine only those areas, so you can do quick spot testing of materials or difficult areas. Has to be seen in action to be believed.