Rendering with a Quad core

danb4026

I am trying to find out how to utilize my quad core processor more efficiently for rendering. This is so I can perform other functions during the rendering process.

My understanding is that you can utilize perhaps 2 cores for rendering and then use the other cores for other functions.

I cannot find anything that explains the process by which this can be done.

Please post any advice and instructions. Thanks

I forget, does Vray have a setting for number of threads? Cause if it does and you set it to 2 you'd only be using 2 cores. Maybe that's a Max setting. But the way to supercede that in Windows would be to bring up Task Manager and use Set Affinity on the 3DSMax process and uncheck one or two of the CPUs.

Andrew, Vray has a setting you can check "low thread priority" under misc options. Vray documentation say: "Low thread priority - turning this on will cause VRay to use threads of lower priority when rendering". Not sure what that means....it certainly isnt very specific.

If I go into windows and set the Affinity for Max to 2 CPU's that would not only use just 2 cpu's for the render, but for max in general, correct? Meaning that if I wanted to continue modeling, I would be down to 2 CPU's for my vray render and max modeling.

I will give what you say a shot and see what happens.

I found this post from back in December:

"Vray has included in the system tab a preference where you can use a low thread priority. This allows you to use the full power of Vray when you are not doing a thing, but gives you back some control of the computer wehn you move your mouse or read your email, etc... I turn that on all the time by default. Basically, it does the same thing that BKittsARC said, but Vray does it for you."

The same thread also talks about changing the Affinity in the max process during rendering.

Very helpful

"Vray has included in the system tab a preference where you can use a low thread priority. This allows you to use the full power of Vray when you are not doing a thing, but gives you back some control of the computer wehn you move your mouse or read your email, etc... I turn that on all the time by default. Basically, it does the same thing that BKittsARC said, but Vray does it for you."

That's funny, I was just thinking about that thread.... yeah I don't ever touch the affinity settings any more, and I have the low thread priority check box selected by default now in my scene settings.