pan speed in perspective

Derek Forreal

i find every now and then if you highlight what u want to zoom or pan around eg.. a specific vertex, then hit the Z button, it centres it and your pan will reset.

I absolutely HATE the orbit/zoom/pan controls in the perspective viewport, I cant beleive they still haven't fixed them in 2008, I dont know about 2009. It's definitely the biggest annoyance in max for me.

Oh yes, also check your units setup because that can affect it too.

right, zooming extents selected will reset the pan/arc rotate pivot and things will get under control. Max 2009 has some new on screen controls to facilitate things around, but to work efficiently maybe you should invest on a 3dconnexion thingy. This is not an advert, it just really helps at hard navigational times!

Reseting with z and checking scale should get around alot of the problems with rotating viewports.

I think the connexion thingy is great for navigating realtime environments but just cumbersome and not precise enough for efficient modelling and scene control.

thanks guys, resetting with the 'z' key did the trick (scale was good). over on cg talk i learned that the pan speed changes (can become too fast or too slow) because the 'virtual target' of the perspective camera gets too close to (or too far from) the camera itself - hence the need to reset...

edit - the above explanation was a bit wrong. the below is copied from the reply i got on cgtalk:

"It depends on where the virtual 'target' of your perspective view is, and its FOV, relative to your point of interest. Alt-Ctrl-MMB, Mousewheel, and Zoom seem to change the position of the target by different amounts. FOV doesn't change it. You can create cameras from your perspetcive views and have a look"