Bacburner 2008.1 from Max 2009 NOT WORKING

rickkremer

Hey everyone. I'm upgrading from max 2008 to the new design 2009 and the new backburner 2008.1 seems to fail constantly. Everytime i start up the network rendering it crashes an the only error message i get is " An unexpected exception occured inthe netwrok renderer and is now terminating>

Please anyone having this same problems or have found a work around please email me at

rkremer@sth-arch.com

Rick Kremer

West Palm Beach, FL

I had to uninstall Backburner 2007.1 before being able to install Backburner 2008.

Maybe a stupid question, but have you checked if Backburner 2008 was successfully installed? For me it just skipped it and I had to do it manually since it seems to think that if you got a previous version of Backburner installed, it's best to leave it alone.

Robert

Robert,

Hey thank you for posting. I actually kinda got mine to work. I did a uninstall on all 3dsmax previous versions and the current and then manually deleted all associated files and registry files. And now it kinda works. It will network render if the materials used are just colors. If i use any textures it errors out again?

I take it then your able to utilize backburner on max 2009?

Rick

ps If you are did you have any previous versions of max installed?

I have no problems doing net rendering via Backburner 2008... it works straight out of the box, with all values left at their default.

Textures works too... However, I am doing the rendering *locally* (from c: to c:), on the same machine... don't know if it works over the network since I don't have one :-).

I still got 3ds max 2008 installed (got 2009 yesterday), but no version prior to that. I use 3ds max *design* 2009, but that shouldn't matter.

By the way, I only uninstalled *Backburner* (using Vista's Control panel) and left everything else.

I'm having other issues though :-/

Robert

Robert,

HEy for curiosity sake can you try to send to your back burner this attached file. It is a sample excercise from Autodesk's website for Max 2009.

Thanks, Also BTW what are some of the other problems you were having. And have you played around with the daylight analysis yet? I haven;t seen any tutorials on this new feature.

Rick

Hi reckkremer!

I downloaded and did a test render of your building max-file and it worked nicely with everything left at their defaults.

The Lighing Analysis is rather nice... I'm just not sure how accurate is is. I guess you have to be careful how you set things up.

The weater data files that can drive the simulation are pretty nice too.

As for my renderings, I'm glad you liked them! The entire site is hopelessly outdated, but I'm working on my new portfolio as we speak. An yes, the wireframe overlay is a Photoshop thing: render the scene as a black/white wireframe, then use the "screen" or "multiply" blending mode, and use a (gradient) layermask to fade the wireframe in/out where appropriate...

I hope you can get Backburner up and running. I find it very useful, even necessary, when doing hi-res renderings in mental ray (where the "black bucket problem" due do memory limitations can be an issue).

Robert

Robert,

Hey btw i checked out your website very nice work. How did you do the rendering that is part 3d wire model and the rest solid. Is that controlled thru photoshop?

When I wanted to show a partial wireframe, I just make a temp copy of the model, change the material on SOME of the parts (usually just the default gray material), and click wireframe in the material slot.

This is a 'mech I was working on.

Very nice rendering!

I prefer to do wireframe renderings using the default scanline renderer - it renders faster and looks nicer (unless you set the sampling in mr to min=16 max=64)

Sometimes it is also nice to have the wireframe in a separate layer, so its transparency etc can be edited separately.

Robert

• 1 month later...

IMPORTANT!

Having spent days trying to figure this out i eventually decided to just phone Autodesk .

the guy told me that he know exactly what the problem was and instructed me to simply delete one file form the Autodesk folder .

C:\ program file\ atuodesk\3ds max 2009\stplugs\ AUTOCANMAX.GUP.

deleting this file fixed the problem completely!

hey Justin,

do you mean AutoCamMax.gup? and do you remove it off your workstation, or all machines in a backburner job?

I find this very disturbing though..did he give you any reasoning for this?

whenever i face this problem, i start off a new max scene..merge in all the objects, fix the environment nad render settings and render, and it works..it's a hastle, but a sure solution for anyone who faces this problem.

I had max 2008 installed on the in house render farm, and recently updated *only* my station with 2009. The first time I tried to net render, I got an error that the "2009 plug in failed to load". I installed 2009 on the other stations and resubmitted. Same error. I removed backburner form all stations, then popped the 2009 install dvd and only loaded backburner 2008.1. This will not update automatically if you already have 2008 backburner loaded. it worked and all problems are gone now.

After removing Backburner, put the install dvd in. Click install tools, scroll to the very bottom and you will see backburner. Install that and you are set.

Tahks Autodesk! Find it very hard to believe that this is an issue. Have not tried to use max 208 with the new backburner though, so i hope I am not screwed here.

Scotty

Hi Form3d,

This problem has been discussed a lot over at 'the area' (the autodesk forum). The temporary fix was to disable the viewcube by renaming AutoCamMax.gup to AutoCamMax.gup.bak thereby temporarily disabling it.

Autodesk has recently released a hotfix though that is supposed to fix the backburner/viewcube issue.

Hotfix - Autodesk 3ds Max 2009 - 2008.05.01

ViewCube

ViewCube was causing viewport issues and a possible crash in Windows XP and Vista. This has been fixed.

BackBurner

BackBurner and Command Line rendering would fail when scenes contained the ViewCube. This has been fixed to render the scenes properly.

If you have already renamed AutoCamMax.gup, then probably best to set things back the way they were before installing the hotfix!

Hope it works for you!