how to start modeling process

olhorobot

hi! my name is ricardo and i've been peeping cgarchitect from time to time.

now i have something that i would like to ask.

i'm trying to understand the pros and cons of using different software to start modelling up from the blueprints/cad designs.

usually i use autocad to build the 3d model up and then export to render in another one like c4d. but sometimes i notice that there may be another way/software to build the 3d model that would benefit time execution.

when i talk about 3d modelling i'm talking about modelling houses, but also terrains, roads, sidewalks.

would you recommend any thread in this subject or any reading or any workflow?

thank you! :)

Edited by olhorobot

Hi Ricardo,

This is a long term issue much discussed elsewhere on the forum, I think it just comes down to what software you have experience with and how comfortable you are with it. We do all our rendering with VRay in C4D and to model I import DWGs into SketchUp. I find it a very quick modeler but I do leave certain elements to be finished off or inserted in Cinema 4D. I always do the bulk of the model in SketchUp and add details later in Cinema 4D where I think I can benefit from its features but this is, again, purely down to the fact that I have used it for a number of years. AutoCAD as a modeller is used a lot but I never got beyond 2D in it and it always reminds me of the time I spent on construction drawings!

Like any program there are pros and cons which the experienced user learns to work around to improve workflow.

On the plus side, if you are looking to experiment with modelling programs, SketchUp (basic version) is free to download and use.