Cables and Wires OH MY!??

Arnold Grove

Hello all,

For my church I have a sort of free project going. (boy how'd that happen?) I need to create many many cables and wires running across a stage in all directions. Some are coming from the plugs in the wall and others will come from a mixing console, winding all over the floor and over to a mic stand, ending up hooked to the mic of course.

Im having loads of fun with lofts and wires in Max 9. Its so easy a cavemen can do it. And the twist function is killer...Im going crazy twisting wires and cables with different colors.

Im also using a simple splines and setting the thinckness for the more simple cables in with render option.

My question; is there a way to have the cables react to each other as in the real world instead of having them crash into each other? Some lay across, some need to look wrapped up in a circular pattern, etc. Also manually setting positions is time consuming. :eek:

When Im using the simple spline/render method, I have to reposition my "cable" so its laying on the floor properly and not cutting half way through as a result of changing the thickness.

thanks folks!

My question; is there a way to have the cables react to each other as in the real world instead of having them crash into each other? Some lay across, some need to look wrapped up in a circular pattern, etc. Also manually setting positions is time consuming. :eek:

Reactor will do it. I used it recently to model a link-chain piled onto a floor. The drawback with Reactor is that it will be time-consuming and you may not get the results you want in a rendering or animation.

You will have much more control if you first create a path for each cable to follow and then use the Path Deform (World-Space) modifier. I am working on an animation similiar to what you are describing for your project, but instead of cables, I am animating rebar.

Here is an old thread where I also discussed using the Path Deform modifier:

http://www.cgarchitect.com/vb/27314-3dsmax-unwiding-coil.html

Once you get the hang of it, it works very well...

wow claudio that is simply kick ass! Any reactor tutorials around that might fit this bill?

One thing Im fuzzy on though;

You will have much more control if you first create a path for each cable to follow and then use the Path Deform (World-Space) modifier

If you draw your path where you want the cables...why use the path deform? Wouldnt it be the same just using the render spline option?

thanks for your help!

Edited by Arnold Grove

Any reactor tutorials around that might fit this bill?

One thing Im fuzzy on though;

You will have much more control if you first create a path for each cable to follow and then use the Path Deform (World-Space) modifier

If you draw your path where you want the cables...why use the path deform? Wouldnt it be the same just using the render spline option?

First try looking around in Max's User Help under Reactor. It will have some examples in there. Search the CGA forums and use Google too.

Path Deform is ideal if you want to animate a long uniform object (cables, chains, ropes, etc) along a fairly complex path. You would model your cable as a single straight line and it would need a high vertice count (use Normalize Spline modifier) and perhaps a Meshsmooth modifier as well (if the camera is extremely close). At the top of the stack, you would add the Path Deform modifier and assign the cable to say a helix. The PD modifier has several parameters that can be animated.

I hope this unfuzzes things a little...

Edited by Claudio Branch