rocks?

Dave Oliver

It depends on how close the rocks are going to be viewed.... if it's from afar you can get by with just a diffuse and bump map, up close I'd use displacement.

CGTextures.com has a pretty good rock collection for textures to get you started.

http://cgtextures.com/textures.php?t=browse&q=422

As for the geometry, I typically start with a geospehere with minimal subdivisions, start pulling on it's vertices using soft selection and then throw a smooth modifier on top.

For something like the image you posted you may be better sweeping a curve with internal segments and pushing and pulling on it to disform the curve, and slap some displacement on it.

yes as a last resort i was thinking about using noise, smooth, then displacement. but i know this will end up looking a little un-natural. other than the quick generation method i would actually have to study landscaping rock and try to reproduce them.

i was guessing those guys who do the clay modeling must know the most pleasing looking rocks to use together, and maybe someone with that knowledge had put out a 3d library too.

hey we should get some clay rocks from modelers, use one of those 3d scanner things to approximate the good blob shapes, and sell em' as a pack.

thanks for your help