smart phones - impressions -- blackberry/iphone... etc.

tecton3d

One other thing I hate really hate about the iPhone. ....you can't easily send and receive picture messages. What BS. Extra steps are required.

no kidding..... and their workaround really sucks.

someone sends you a picture text and you get a notification with a webpage with a unique login and long password. no problem if we had copy and paste but of course we don't yet :rolleyes:

I would be okay with it if you got a text of a weblink that you could just click on and it would show you the picture. but then that doesn't fix the problem that you can't send a picture text to someone, all you can do is email them.

although this just made me think of the other downfall of the iphone and that's the fact that it doesn't support flash applications. And with the way things have been looking lately, I don't think apple is going to let it fly since it violates their terms of service allowing someone to add-on applications that would compete with their ap store and itunes...

Edited by BrianKitts

no kidding..... and their workaround really sucks.

There are ways to send picture messages. You need to set up another email address, the one the service provider uses to send and receive picture messages. I don't know if people realize this, but all picture messages are delivered as an email, then forwarded to your phone. So, if you want to send a picture message to someone on a Verizon phone, you would use this email address....

##########@vzwpix.com

Where the ### represent their phone number. All major carriers operate this way.

The downfall is that you have to create a separate email address for each contact. However, a upside might be found if you sync email addresses with your computer, then you can easily send picture messages to someones mobile.

http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/97158

OK, spent my first weekend playing with my new Dare.

It is def a smart phone "lite". It has smart phone like qualities, but the proprietary nature of it means I cant freely add new software like on iPhone, Blackberry or Palm. My wife got the Palm Centro and its pretty sweet though not flashy like the Storm or iPhone. For the $0 we paid for it, I think its a tremendous bargain.

I cant freely add new software like on iPhone,

All iPhone software is filtered through the iTunes store. Apple decides whether it is acceptable or not. If not, they simply don't carry it. So I wouldn't necessarily say you can add software freely, they keep a pretty close eye on it.

Now, you can jailbreak an iPhone to get around that, then you can freely add software to it.

• Administrators
I'm surprised theres no Battery talk here, If i forego the TeleNav GPS and don't forget to close Google Maps, then my Blackberry 8830 can easily last for 5-6 DAYS of use.

The iPhone is not great for battery life either. When I am on the road, if I make 30-40 min worth of calls in a day, check my calendar 15 times and send 10-15 text messages, I can barely make it through a 12 hour day. If I use GPS or browse the internet, I'll be getting low battery warnings by day's end.

• Administrators
pandora doesn't stay playing when you close the app to work other simple features like calendar, sms, etc... :(

That's due to apple's iPhone architecture and I suspect one of the main reasons there is no copy and paste yet. Only one application (except for phone) is allowed to run at any given time.

That's due to apple's iPhone architecture and I suspect one of the main reasons there is no copy and paste yet. Only one application (except for phone) is allowed to run at any given time.

i see ~ so it's not a software upgrade issue then?

it's something i can live with. it would just be nice to be able to multi-task.

i see ~ so it's not a software upgrade issue then?

it's something i can live with. it would just be nice to be able to multi-task.

I think they do this to keep people from running to many apps at once. These are essentially mini computers, and the processing and ram is not that great. It can only handle so much at any given time. Apple limits it, in theory giving you the best performance in whatever app you are working. It would be nice to be able to at least put one app on hold, or freeze, while you do something else.

Only one application (except for phone) is allowed to run at any given time.

I thought that too at first, but then I realized you can play music through the ipod interface and use all of the other functions of the phone at the same time, so isn't that running two applications?

Additionally you can talk on the phone (using the headset) and surf the net or use applications at the same time. Which means multiple aps can access the network signal simultaneously....

so I'm still hoping it's something pandora can get worked out, same goes for the Last.fm application.

...also, is anyone using Mobile Me with the iphone?

Yes I have it, I let them talk me into it when I bought the phone. It's pretty nice in that I know all my contacts are stored in apple's cloud, and get pushed back to my contacts on my macbook. But when I bought MobileMe I was under the impression (as was everyone else) that it would work with my PC desktop. It's still not working AFAIK with PC's, although I haven't tried in a month or so, I'll give it a shot again at lunch today.

The part I didn't realize was that the iPhone was going to get all my outlook contacts pushed through the exchange server to the phone. Had I known that, I wouldn't have purchased mobile me. I would just stick to adding all the contacts to my exhange server list, pretty much like MobileMe for free.

So most likely I won't be renewing it, I plug my iPhone into my macbook enough that it's getting sync'd all the time the old fashioned way, so I can't justify the $100/yr for MobileMe.

Edited by BrianKitts

• Administrators
But when I bought MobileMe I was under the impression (as was everyone else) that it would work with my PC desktop. It's still not working AFAIK with PC's, although I haven't tried in a month or so, I'll give it a shot again at lunch today.

Yes it does work on PCs, well at least on mine it does. It shows up as a application within the Control Panel. There has been a ton of issues with MobileMe though I've heard. I saw a post somewhere with an internal email at Apple about how they really dropped the ball on MobileMe and were going to push hard to fix it. Not sure if that has happened or not.

Yes it does work on PCs, well at least on mine it does. It shows up as a application within the Control Panel. There has been a ton of issues with MobileMe though I've heard. I saw a post somewhere with an internal email at Apple about how they really dropped the ball on MobileMe and were going to push hard to fix it. Not sure if that has happened or not.

Just tried it, yup it's fixed. For the longest time you could add your account onto the PC but it could never connect to the server to preform a sync. I tried for months and then gave up on it and forgot about it till now. Just gave it a go and everything works like it should.

The one nice thing apple did was realizing that they put out a failed product, and for us that bought it within the first couple of weeks, they sent out an email stating that they are extending our subscription by two months for the inconvenience. Other companies would have just said I'm sorry and please be patient.