sketchup to 3ds max problems - to say the least!

hi im a newbie here so be kind

having difficulties importing my sketchup model to work on in 3ds max. ive got google sketchup 7 (not pro) and 3ds max 9. basically i can successfully import the model by saving as a .kmz file, renaming it .zip, opening it in winrar and saving as a .dae file. when i import my model into max again its there but it doesnt read some of the faces from sketchup (most are black). this problem is probably becuase of sketchup but im not that great at either program to understand what the problem is....

any solutions very welcome! ive got a deadline fast approaching!

thanks in advance

pancaking...

You need Sketchup pro to export dwg to max.

Apply a normals modifier to the bad geometry in max. You might also have to go to the vertex sub level to weld vertexes.

There is no simple way to import sketchup geometry into max. It really depends on if the model was built right in sketchup. Even then you stil have to do a lot of clean up and welding in max.

thanks odouble,

im using this method to import - it works!

typing this into google - the second hit tells you how. "sketchup to 3ds max"

dont understand much of what you say im afraid! too many technical terms!

Try applying the default material in sketchup. All purple surfaces won't show in max, all white ones will. There are many ways to correct this, the most basic is to keep an eye on it when you are modelling and 'select, right click and reverse faces' on any purple faces as you go!

export to fbx from sketchup. materials will be maintained.

to adjust normals prior to export, assign your SKP objects a "back material" that is bright green. doing so will allow you to visualize the normals and flip them in SKP directly. this will improve the workflow overall once you are in 3ds max

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

use 3ds files, you can still have your material ID when you open it in max.

For example, you have a box, you color it in sketchup, 2 sides red and 2 sides blue. When you export it to 3ds file and merge into your 3ds max scene, open the material editor and "Get Material from object" you will have a Muti/Sub material with 1 red and 1 blue, replace it to what ever you want for your box. Have fun with that !

About the purple surface:

The purple surface you see in Sketchup is backface faces (1 plane only have a visible face which is white). All you have to do is to right click at prurple faces in sketchup and click reverse face

Edited by nudawa

• 2 months later...

The purple surface you see in Sketchup is backface faces (1 plane only have a visible face which is white). All you have to do is to right click at prurple faces in sketchup and click reverse face

And i wonder what you do when the faces don't appear to be flipped in Sketchup (Monochrome mode), and look fine in max (mostly) until you collapse multiple objects together!

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the mirroring in sketchup based on which objects are showing the issues in this current file.

I'll post up any findings here, as this thread is hit #6 on google for sketchup and normals heh!