Question for the experts..

How's everyone doing? I truly love the work everyone puts into making this one of the best cg sites on the web. I'm a student in my third year of college and am studying architecture. I currently have began my voyage into the world of cg. I've done all the tutorials out there and have read endless amounts of forum questions and answers. My question for you, the experts, is or are there any cg artists out there willing to offer help to students who are new? I learn by seeing and doing. Any chance any of the cg artists on this site willing to share their work. Complete files of jobs that they post here? I work with lightscape and 3d studio viz. There are so many settings it's frustrating to figure out how and what to do to get the great results over and over. If some how i could get one or a few files to use as examples it would help my out alot! Then again this might be more then anyone might want to help. Just thought I'd throw the question out there! THANKS! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK! IT TRULY IS INSPIRING!

hi samp,

I don't know how to call it in english. It's architectural enginering you're studying I guess.

hi all,

srry guys, I can't help you with sending files because they are strict property of our firm.

But I might give you a few tips:

- read a BOOK instead of several tutorials on the net. That way you'll get a complete view upon the software by one author. This means that you'll learn the tips and tricks from only one person instead of learning contradictions from many.

You'll get a more coherent view that way, instead of chaos. From there on you can start experimenting yourself (changing only one parameter at a time to see it's result). Finally you'll teach yourself your own view on the favourite package (and others too).

- be patient: You can't draw like an artist in only one day!

rgds

nisus

sorry nisusm, saw your site gallery and got a bit side-lined there i think. (see below)

mike - what i'm saying basically is that i also learn my trade by getting inspiration from other ppl's imagery. the technicalities and mechanics of setting up a scene will mostly come from toil, sweat and tears. nobody can tell you how to set up your scene for a kick ass rendering, they can only guid you.

you really only learn this by sitting down behind your pc and spending hours and hours practicing, learning, never-ending tweeking, test rendering etc... this way you'll learn better imho. each scene you do will inevitably be set up deferently each time. and each scene you render will be better than the last, so just keep at it, it can literally take years to do!

Thanks Strat! I'm sure one day I might be able to get this whole cg thing down....but as you said, It Takes time! One more question: Would you gentlemen, "the experts", be willing to actually take a look at one of my ls. (lightscape files) and tell me what you think? It'd be a really big help If I can get some straight pointers on how to and how not to set up properly. This goes out to all the experts...If you'd be willing to take a look at my work and offer any advice it'd be a HUGE favor to me as a student.

nisus - it's not the photorealism that impressed me or the overall quallity in design, but a gammut of creative styles and techniques used in the portfolio's visuals as a whole. Typical of a good portfolio for an architect, but excellently excecuted. a nice site to site down and spend time looking at.

i wont crit it because my opinions will probably be very personal and non-productive to you (not many crits needed tho in the first place) but a high point in imagery for me was the 'Residentie Caroline' job you done:)

[ May 31, 2002, 08:11 AM: Message edited by: STRAT ]

Hi Strat,

Tnx for your comment. Photorealism is not our goal at all. Like I said somewhere on the board, I like the painters attitude better. The designs are not ours (except for some very early work 1995-1998), but range from very commercial to quite impressive architectural designs.

Production time is another big issue in our style of course. ;)

What did you like about 'Residentie Caroline'?

nisus