Creating door and window cutouts in walls

Jdnelsen

Hi all,

I am relatively new to 3d studio and am having trouble creating door and window cutouts. I have been using the boolean tool, and doing a subtraction (subtracting a box the size of the door or window from the wall). The problem I am having is that when I do, the wall gets split into triangular sections and when I apply a material to it, it looks wrong. Anyone know what I am talking about? Have any ideas to remedy my problem? I have purchased Brian Smith's books but have yet to find anything in there that helped to solve this problem I am having...or at least anything that made sense to me, though they are amazing books.

Please help!

Thanks in advance,

Jon Nelsen

jdnelsen@gmail.com

You need to read up on UVW mapping. It allows you to tell Max how you want to apply a material to a model. Select your wall model, go to modify and apply the UVW map modifier. There are several ways to change how the map appears on the model in the UVW map modifier settings so you can scale your materials as well as orientate and wrap them around the model as you want.

A simple box map UVW should do the job.

As you are new, the UVW map modifier tab is located in the modifier rollout, second button, just beside the arrow, and there there is a loll out menu. Apply it on top of the geometry.

For cutting the doors perforations , I tend to use the slice modifier, and then bridge the faces ( in editable poly mode) but this is personal preference. It keeps the geometry nice/clean and quad, if ever you need to work a little more with the geometry, or to send it to an other software / package.