Windows 7 heads-up

AJLynn

so the point of Vista was....?

To help Microsoft build character.

To be fair, Windows 7 is an upgrade to Vista in the sense that Snow Leopard is an upgrade to Leopard. Not a heck of a lot of new features, more like improving on what's there. So Vista is obsoleted more quickly than XP was. But, hey, it's what the customers demanded. The discount on pre-orders is probably in response to Apple's $30 upgrade pricing. Apple's is cheaper but that price only applies to people upgrading from Leopard.

When upgrading from Vista 64, what happens to all of my programs, do I have to reinstall?

Is there a big difference between Home, Pro and Ultimate? For what we do, does one have an advantage over the other? Big diff in price.

Edited by danb4026
add

When upgrading from Vista 64, what happens to all of my programs, do I have to reinstall?

Is there a big difference between Home, Pro and Ultimate? For what we do, does one have an advantage over the other? Big diff in price.

...If you have Windows Vista, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions. You can do a clean install (back up your files, clean install, and reinstall your applications) or an in-place upgrade (Windows 7 installs over Windows Vista)...

just bought a copy of the home premium... for $50, definately worth a shot tom improve some of my issues with Vista.

Thx for the heads up! :D

If you have Vista you can install 7 as an upgrade.

If you have XP you must do a clean install. You can buy the 7 upgrade at the same price, but you can't do an upgrade install.

I don't like doing upgrade installs of Windows anyway, but it does mean keeping all your software installers and license numbers in a reasonably organized way :)

Windows ME was Windows 98.2. And it was bad. It was an example of Microsoft attempting user-friendliness, in line with Microsoft Bob. It was the last Windows built on the 95 architecture.

Windows 2000 was NT 5.0. XP was NT 5.1. 2000 was a pretty big improvement over NT 4.0 (the last version that was called NT) because it added a bunch of hardware compatibility and new technology, and actual user friendliness. It was also quite usable by people used to 98, where NT 4.0 wasn't. It didn't crash. I used it for a few years; it took a long time for anything to come along that required XP, and at the time many of use viewed XP as pretty worthless and just a graphical polishing of 2000.

Vista is NT 6.0. Windows 7 is currently a 6.1 version in its prerelease but I can only assume they'll increment the major version to 7 when they go gold master.

They do claim driver compatibility from Vista to 7, FWIW. IIRC their claims of compatibility from 2000 to XP were less certain but the compatibility was actually quite good.

Andrew,

How do you feel about the performance of Windows7?

I have been enticed for awhile now about the reports of Windows7 being fast. I loaded the updated public beta that was released early in May with the hopes that it would bring me to a new appreciation for what Microsoft has been doing for the past handful of years.

Unfortunately this does not seem to be the case. The Windows7 feels quite a bit slower on equivalent hardware setups than XP. Granted the system I have it on is a old desktop that mainly serves as a home server. It was only scoring an average of 4.4 out of 7.9 on the Windows scoring test. Hardly ideal, and a sign that I need to upgrade this machine. But still, the are advertising as a savor of the company, but I hardly feel it is as fast as what XP has proven to be.

Without going into detail, I am curious as to how you feel about it? Is it better? ....am I crazy? I guess I like my OS to shrink to a very small footprint, and not hinder the system in anyway. The software we use in general is very intense, and demanding on the hardware. Having an OS that takes up more resources than it needs to to get the job done is a real problem for me. I want something that is mean and lean, so that I have all the resources I can garner to go into the product I am trying to create, rather than have anything more than the necesity being sucked by the OS.

Anyway, ...I am reloading Windows XP on the desktop/server as we speak. I have had it with 7 for now. I have begun upgrading the system, but am still shopping for all the components. Maybe this fall I will venture into a local comp store and test 7 on one of their machines, and see how the experience is.

Until then I am going to be enjoy the speed I feel XP has, at least as long as XP is still round.

Edited by Crazy Homeless Guy

Well, XP was of course designed for the hardware of several years ago and its interface runs faster because there's less system load from it. Remember how slow XP seemed compared to 2000. Happens every time. Usually the difference in app performance is smaller.

Now as for Windows 7, having only used prerelease versions and never having done a real comparison to other Windowses, all I can say is it feels fast but really I have no idea what the actual performance difference is. I'd expect the final version to feel faster than Vista but slower than XP but that's not very scientific. For the old hardware I'd probably stick with XP.

I've bench tested Windows 7 vs. Vista and Win7 is definately faster.

I also installed it onto an old laptop and it has given it a new lease of life which is pretty impressive considering.

Mind you there is still plenty of time for Microsoft to ruin it before it goes gold!