C4D for architectural viz

Hey guys,

I have to put in my two cents.

I´ve been producing two-point perspectives using 3dsMax since its first version. It works the same way that Ernest described on LS: just put the camera and its target at the same z height and pan and orbit away as you like.

What´s the problem with producing 2-point perspectives in Max?

Let´s rock ´n roll on the next projects!

Christian

Seems to me a logical way to use C4D in arch viz would be to handle the animation & rendering, and let some more CAD oriented app do the modeling, especially since C4D doesn't even import DWGs.

Some of you have mentioned AutoCAD, max, and formZ for modeling.

The scenerio I'm visualizing is being handed DWG drawings. I've used TurboCAD LE to export as DXF or even EPS. is there something that will do this better? What about VectorWorks 10? Doesn't it have some kina hook into C4D?

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Kevin3D:

Seems to me a logical way to use C4D in arch viz would be to handle the animation & rendering, and let some more CAD oriented app do the modeling, especially since C4D doesn't even import DWGs.

Some of you have mentioned AutoCAD, max, and formZ for modeling.

The scenerio I'm visualizing is being handed DWG drawings. I've used TurboCAD LE to export as DXF or even EPS. is there something that will do this better? What about VectorWorks 10? Doesn't it have some kina hook into C4D?

C4D will quite easily accept .3DS and .DXF files. i use both these formats exported from Autocad into C4D on a daily bases.

Originally posted by theginjaninja:

I use ArchiCAD for modelling... works a treat.

Whoa...ArchiCAD looks expensive...$3000+, right?

Looks like Sketch-Up & Cinema4D is a good combination. Both are inexpensive and easy to use. My background is in design & animation, not architecture, so my hardcore CAD background is limited.

Originally posted by Kevin3D:

Looks like Sketch-Up & Cinema4D is a good combination. Both are inexpensive and easy to use. My background is in design & animation, not architecture, so my hardcore CAD background is limited.

if your only into design and architectural massing/AEC style modelling, then the combo of sketchup and c4d is a great package. again, we use both in work.

also, you may want to wait untill the next release of sketchup comes out (should be asap) as this will now animate too.

One way to remove flickering is to bake the GI solution into lightmaps and then render flythroughs using a straight up scanline render. Is this feature supported in Advanced Render?

I'm looking at using C4D for architectural viz/ virtual set work, and am trying to come up to speed on how it handles this. Is this used in C4D?

Thanks,

Eliot

Originally posted by Eliot:

One way to remove flickering is to bake the GI solution into lightmaps and then render flythroughs using a straight up scanline render. Is this feature supported in Advanced Render?

I'm looking at using C4D for architectural viz/ virtual set work, and am trying to come up to speed on how it handles this. Is this used in C4D?

Thanks,

Eliot

yes, there is a baking plugin freely available for c4d, but like with all baking it's more suited to gaming environments and things like that.

it's a pain in the butt to set up, takes a fair bit of time and doesn't give you anywhere near the same quallity of gi/rad than full rendering does.

to get proper gi you need to render it properly. baking wont do for hi-end stuff

Originally posted by m_c:

Allplan 2003 is coming.... great combination with C4D, (same owner) IMHO.

You can import object, camera, light, texture... directly.

Allplan 17 already works great!

just my 2 cents.

Interesting...but how much does Allplan cost? I can't find that info @ the site

Interesting...but how much does Allplan cost? I can't find that info @ the site [/QB]

It depends on the configuration...

better you contact the US dealer. It seems is possible to get an evaluation copy.

They can give you every information about it, and is possibly to find some information @ their site.

take a look.

Allplan 2003 is coming.... great combination with C4D, (same owner) IMHO.

You can import object, camera, light, texture... directly.

Allplan 17 already works great!

just my 2 cents.

Hello:

You might be interested in this:

I quote from Architosh site:

http://www.architosh.com/news/2003-03/2003a1-0314-cinema4-vwed.phtml

"VectorWorks-based architects and designers now have a wonderful new extension to their favorite CAD application. This special edition of Maxon's superb Cinema 4D, allows architects working on models in VectorWorks to work round-trip between Cinema 4D and VectorWorks. What this means technically is a model can be brought into Cinema 4D, established in a scene, worked on with colors, textures and lights, and then updated in VectorWorks, having that updated model data being reflected in Cinema 4D.

VectorWorks Special Edition

The VW SE version of Cinema 4D includes two smart plugins that allow you to work round-trip between the two programs. "

I haven't tried this because I don't have cinema 4D but I do have Vector Work. Anyway, it sounds promising for those who use both.

I can say that Vector Works is one of the easiest CAD software to learn with a clean interface.

You can import DWG files

If the conection with C4D works well you could do most of the modeling in vectorworks. Vector works has decent boolean functions, suport NURBS. But must important it has a nice Snaps system (2d and 3d) which is what 3d sofware usualy lack .

If there anything that Vector Work 3d features can't handdle you surely be able to do it in C4D.

It is under $1000

Try the demo.

Hector