ambient occlusion and vray

zewanil

Hi there again and i hope someone will help me ...

i am learning ambiant occlusion and i have quite a problem to make it

i have done a tutorial that was telling me to put a vraylightmat with vray dirt

in the overide material but it doesnt work ... ??

thanks so much for helping

Patrick

could be a few variables working against you....

multiplier on the vraylightmtl?

what's your color mapping?

physical camera / using exposure?

Also check out the built in ambient occlusion option in the latest release. It bakes it in to the render so there's no control in post, but I've found that after a few test renders I get it right where it needs to be and don't even bother with it in post any more.

thanks for replying

the multiplier of the vraylightmat is 1

the color of the vraylight is white

i am not using a vray camera

i dont have the ambiant occlusion add aware ..

if any one can help me

Keep everything in place, you don't adjust anything in the global overrides to use the vrayextratex. Works great, only thing you have to compensate for is if you are using a camera with an exposure you'll have to take the multiplier well above 1. (but a std camera, 1 is perfect)

It gets added in the render elements tab.

thanks

i think i have a problem with vray dirt ....

i doest work well

i am trying to use it but it doesnt work

could anyone send me a vray material with dirt so i could see if its the software or me the problem

Try this scene file.

with the the global override material on you'll get an AO render in your diffuse channel.

Turn off the global material override and you get check the extra buffer to see the vrayextratex version. (actually you'll get this one regardless of the global setting)

req: 3dsmax2010 / Vray 1.5 SP3a

Edited by BrianKitts

There's another easy way to set it up so it gets done as a render element. Enable VrayExtraTex and then choose VrayDirt as the texture. No need to bother with light materials and overrides and also no need for extra renders.

This is by far the easiest solution. Its a render element.

From the help file:Renders the entire scene with one texture mapped on all objects.

Add this in your render element tab. Then in the texture slot add a vraydirt map, drag an instance into your material editor. Change your values then when you render it will be one of the channels that render out...

• 6 months later...
The max script for vray ambient occusion is not loading in my 3ds max 2009 - it shows runtime error filein cannot open file - please need help!

hey rahat dont know what is going on.. but in meantime u can use the mental ray AO. Does anybody else just use MR for ao pass.. i find it to be so easy and faster then vraydirt to render. I just grab my scene, delete lights, make override MR texture with ao shader and render.

edit: i had a similar prob with some of my vray textures not loading on 2009... ended up being I had to run max on adminstrator mode.

Edited by sancheuz

hey rahat dont know what is going on.. but in meantime u can use the mental ray AO. Does anybody else just use MR for ao pass.. i find it to be so easy and faster then vraydirt to render. I just grab my scene, delete lights, make override MR texture with ao shader and render.

edit: i had a similar prob with some of my vray textures not loading on 2009... ended up being I had to run max on adminstrator mode.

We do similar. MR's AO is superior to Vray. At least for the time being.