Net Render

Cesar R

Does this mean that I can have multiple machines work on one image?

where can I find some info on setting up a apple based C4D render farm and how they work?

I want explore the option of using my laptop (powerbook) hocked up to an Xserve for example (or two) and just work from my laptop with external monitors.

Cesar,

Net Render does not split up a single image.

However I have found it quite useful to save a project and upload it to our Net Render server and start the render. Net Render uses the first available computer to render the frame. Many times I'll have more than one project to render, so when I start another render, Net Render uses the next available computer. Depending on the number of clients in your renderfarm, you can have as many individual renders running concurrently.

For animations Net Render uses dynamic loading to split up frames among all available computers on the renderfarm. It's very stable and works well. Another nice feature is that the interface is web based, and I can check on progress from any computer. (As long as I have firewall access ;) )

I have a few questions,

how many machines can collaborate with the net render incluided with a single seat of C4D? or does each machine need a copy of c4d, also can workstation be a mac and have one or more Pc's as render slaves or the other way around?

Depends on which bundle of C4D you purchase the XL bundle comes with 3 licenses, and the Studio bundle comes with an unlimited license. ie. you can install Server and Client up to the limit of your license.

Net Render supports mixed networks also. For instance we have a Mac running server and client and numerous Mac's running client and one PC running client at our office.

Go to Maxon's page for full details on the Net Render Module

Originally posted by Cesar R:

I have a few questions,

how many machines can collaborate with the net render incluided with a single seat of C4D? or does each machine need a copy of c4d, also can workstation be a mac and have one or more Pc's as render slaves or the other way around?

great i will look at that,

you know, the more I get into the software the more I like it. I mean it is missing some little things that max, but it also has certain things that max doesnt have. I have faith that in future releases the software will improve greatly.

Ace, have you worked with vector works? I got the demo Cd's in the mail today and i will check it out. They have a mechanical modeler which seems pretty good for presicion models. I just wonder if custom library objects can be created for VW architect like in archicad.

Cesar R

You can create custom library objects/symbols like in archicad, but Vectorworks uses a hybrid system . you can create a simplified 2d symbol different than the detailed 3d object. this is nice for plan and elevation drawings where the details may become distracting .i.e cd drawings. Both the 2d and 3d definitions are editable independently. Aslo the vW architect module has extras that are extremely useful for architecture. I actually use the industry version. which includes spotlight and landmark. You should check out the gallery on nemetcheks website. However, i have to say , 3d is not as easy as in Archicad, but free form geometry is much more easier in vw. I can't seem to pick one exclusively over the other , bcos of the unique strenghs and weaknesses of both programs.

Cesar,

No, I never used Vector Works. A friend of mine purchased it years ago when it was Minicad, and I think he has the current version. He likes it and used it to do the design and construction doc's for his family's cabin. I think he and his wife use it in their practice together currently.

Maxon advertises a special edition bundle with C4D with a couple of plugins that streamline workflow between the two packages. It would be interesting to hear from someone on how well this works and some of the pros and cons of Vector Works for Architecture modeling.

Originally posted by Cesar R:

Ace, have you worked with vector works?

[ August 17, 2003, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: Ace_Face ]

Cesar R

Just finally figured out how to post images. But here is a trial image from a school project i did with vectorworks/renderworks rendering package. I'm still learning 3d rendering , so its not great. hope it helps give u an idea of VW capabilities

Image-A0C3DF6ECC6D11D7.jpg