Booleans and the rsults

Cesar R

Hi guys I am back, I have been into my hobby and relaxing before school started so I have posted or been on the forum for a while.

anyway, last time I subtranted and object from another (for example a cube for a retangle to model a wall with an opening, the "wall" becomes tessalated and I see several faces - the same effect as when you import autocad files into 3ds max or a 3ds file.

Is C4D sloppy with booleans ? is there a way to clean it up? - I like to have clean models

filepush.asp?file=bole.jpg

Yup,

Better Boolean.

http://www.maxon.net/pages/dyn_files/dyn_htx/htx/408/00408_00409.html

There's also another way, but I misplaced my tutorials manual, so I can't tell you what it is. redface2.gif It had to deal with making a hole in the prong for a plug. Maybe it was the bridge tool??

I'd try to avoid booleans if possible, it can get very messy. If you only have a few openings, you might want to look at deleting polygon faces and bridge the gaps using the bridge tool. You'll end up with a much cleaner mesh.

Chris

Hi Cesar,

Power solids? What is that?

Bridge - sructure menu, 6th one down.

or

"B" for the keyboard shortcut

or

right mouse button (PC)?? will pop up a shortcut menu

Apple+mouse button (Mac) does the same thing

I'm not sure about the PC mouse click shortcut since I use a Mac at work.

When you use the bridge tool, you'll have to make sure your object it editable. Then you might have to add some subdivisions if there isn't enough (subdivision is in the structure menu as well, near the bottom). Switch to polygon mode and pick your polygons you want to "creat the opening". Then select "bridge", or hit "b" on the keyboard. Click on a point (corner) and drag to the opposite corner. Release and you'll have your opening.

You can then move points around if your opening isn't big enough or small enough. I doubt it's the fastest way, but you should get a clean mesh.

Chris