how to make basic plate glass?

I've been gradually learning Cinema 4D since I got it about a month ago, and so far I'm really impressed with its rendering and texturing capabilities. One material I keep having trouble with is basic plate glass. I've found free shaders for all kinds of aged and stained glass, but not for plate glass. Does anyone have some basic settings they'd be willing to share? Once I have some images I'm happy with, I'll post them in the WIP forum to get some feedbaqck.

thanks,

Jack

Frosty,

Thanks for the link! I had looked around the Deepshade site, but hadn't seen that material. As for color, I'll start with clear glass to keep things simple. I hadn't tried the wavy bump map you mentioned, but maybe that will make the glass a little less perfect. I'll try it out at home tonight and see how it goes.

Thanks,

Jack

easy way to use these materials is to copy them directly to your desired object directly off the object it's already applies to - ie, merge in the light buld object and directly copy the material over to the new object.

the sla shader will exist in rel 8.1

i forgot to metion that I usually use a default Banji shader for my glass. Change the colour as desired, and a lil wave and presto chango you have slick glass.

I would be interested in seeing examples of glass settings by others. Have anything nice strat?

um....dunno, i'll have a look.

i personally try to stear away from SLA as unless u got a speed pc it takes time to render.

Banji is prolly the best glass shader, as you say. but as for flat planes, or normal windows you dont even need that - normal glass material is just as effective.

getting back to your question tho -

i create different glass for every occation really. here is an example of a glass material/setup for a recent job i did do.

take note, nothing complicated, just simple set-up. more is less type of thing. the other thing i would usually add is a slight bump map to distort the reflection sometimes.

glass.jpg

Hmm, I downloaded the shader you linked to (270) but I'm not sure how to use it. It seems to be a plugin for C4D R6, which adds a Bhodinut Fresnel channel. I'm pretty sure I already had this in my C4D R8 installation. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Jack