Simulating Distance

Michael J. Brown

I saw a tutorial some time ago (at least 2-years) on how to create the illusion of visual distortion that naturally occurs outdoors over distances due to atmospheric conditions. You know, like when you're standing on the 20th floor of a building looking out at a horizon miles away and everything far away has a grayish haze to it.

How is this effect acheived (using Vray)?

Is it a camera setting, an atmosphere setting, a daylight system setting, or a combination of all?

Thanks.

production - what does that mean?

use vray fog, its an environment effect and works with an atmospheric gizmo.

you can add noise animated if you want, its very good once you get the hang of it.

also use a zdepth pass to alter the colours in the distance / foreground. use photo reference, its a bit less saturrated and contrasty.

production - what does that mean?

While rendering, as opposed to post-production (doing it in Photoshop, etc.)

use vray fog, its an environment effect and works with an atmospheric gizmo.

you can add noise animated if you want, its very good once you get the hang of it.

also use a zdepth pass to alter the colours in the distance / foreground. use photo reference, its a bit less saturrated and contrasty.

Okay. This sounds more along the lines of what I'm looking for. I'll give this a shot.

Thanks.

Mike are you talking about the effect, for example, where the view is close into a scene detail (say a counter edge detail) and the remainder of the scene becomes less crisp the farther it is from the viewer?

This is something that I've been wanting to investigate myself.

Thanks,

B

Mike are you talking about the effect, for example, where the view is close into a scene detail (say a counter edge detail) and the remainder of the scene becomes less crisp the farther it is from the viewer?

This is something that I've been wanting to investigate myself.

Thanks,

B

What you're talking about is depth of field (AKA DOF). There are any number of ways to achieve that effect both within MAX/VRay or in post. If you do a search I'm sure you can find something