mental_razors

any mental razor heads working on mental ray custom shaders (either maya hypergraph or houdini) for architectural. experiences thus far? (3) :ebiggrin: (B) redface2.gif (1) :ngesleep:

any links to sites showing architectural renderings using mental ray/mental ray shaders would be much appreciated.

hi garethrace, thanks for replying.

visited the dx9 site, but mr s.bean's shader implementation doesn't seem to have the ies or photometric features now supported by mental ray shaders. any links to archivis sites using mray much appreciated.

viewed iomedia.com site, and the cg.architect interview with nick nakadate @ http://www.mulvannyg2.com/ (usu. lightscape+max; mental ray for more intense rendering);

you might already have this reading:

Canadian Architect Art of CAD competition, 2002

The Canadian Architect Art of CAD competition is a one-of-a-kind scheme that addresses the use of computers in Canadian architectural practice. Thanks to its various categories, the competition does not only focus on rendering, but on the many possible uses of the computer as a tool for architectural design and presentation. In this context, the word “art” is especially significant.

visited the dx9 site, but mr s.bean's shader implementation doesn't seem to have the ies or photometric features now supported by mental ray shaders. any links to archivis sites using mray much appreciated.

I will keep my eye out.

http://www.mulvannyg2.com/ (usu. lightscape+max; mental ray for more intense rendering);

I will some of the little hidden line drawings there, with the picture turning to shaded when you move the mouse over them. Cool effect. I must pass that on to my Flash using architect buddy.

The Canadian Architect Art of CAD competition is a one-of-a-kind scheme that addresses the use of computers in Canadian architectural practice. Thanks to its various categories, the competition does not only focus on rendering, but on the many possible uses of the computer as a tool for architectural design and presentation. In this context, the word “art” is especially significant.

The Canadian Institute web site and the architecture 'thing' in general seems very well organised. I love going on to Canadian architecture web sites for interesting urban competitions, and other nice fascinating links.

My own home arch institute web site here is

www.irish-architecture.com

It is not bad actually. Not very much in the line of computers though.

If you really are interested in developing your own shaders etc., try

www.aceshardware.com

and ask them for a little assistance - some great graphics software engineers over there.

[ May 27, 2003, 03:55 AM: Message edited by: garethace ]

garethace and john

thanks for the links (luminova.com.au was slowly loading...)

found this site:

mental images_gallery_architecture

provided the best overview of mray_arch_vis.

interesting to see archimation's mental ray renderings for daniel libeskind's World Trade Center Design Study.

any other mray_arch_vis or mray_ies_shader writing links much appreciated.

the architecture gallery was old (1998, '99)dull images.
Not much better than some Lightscape gallery images now at Discreet i suppose. Amazing how things get dated so fast. Have you seen this page?

http://splutterfish.com/sf/sf_gen_page.php3?page=FeatureGalleries/materials

Personally i would love to start doing a bit with the kinds of 'Toon' materials for technical drawings.

splutterfish gallery presented objects rendered in an appealing light. useful for graphic design objet d'art.

but photometric-based lighting for landscape+archi_vis was not featured.

or at least a close approximation.

but photometric-based lighting for landscape+archi_vis was not featured.

or at least a close approximation.

Do you have any links to that Sydney Opera house project, where they tested how the lights would appear, before installation. I remember reading about it years ago.

That sort of service, of providing the architect with accurate representations of lighting, should become a very useful one in years to come i do hope.

The importance of visualising the reality of architecture and design is huge. For myself however, i am not so much a lightscape or mental ray fanatic, but rather more - the reality of architecture in a different sense, from the point of view of a pedestrian. I am more likely to go the pedestrian simulator route, than than the natural light route.

Creating Living Streets.

http://www.udg.org.uk/news/reviews/cls.html

http://www.ccc.govt.nz/LivingStreets/

http://www.livingstreets.org.uk/

Have you ever seen the book called Unbuilt Masterworks about Louis Kahn?

Daniel J. Brick

Associate Director of Computer Arts Online

Daniel J. Brick recently directed the Computer Graphics Department at the Academy or Art College and is currently directing/building and teaching the next generation of artists in the exciting new media of online education.

Mr. Brick started his journey in the digital arts in early 1987 while studying Architecture at Temple University. His passion for visualizing expressing designs through the use of digital tools led him to the re-creation of unbuilt masterpieces of architecture by such notable architects/artists as Louis I. Kahn and Vladamir Tatlin. Mr. Brick’s work has been shown world-wide and has recently contributed to the book Louis I. Kahn : Unbuilt Masterworks.

After receiving his Masters degree in Architecture Design and Computation from M.I.T., Mr. Brick went to work at the The Walt Disney Company. There he helped build the digital 3D development/production department and developed software to fully texture 3D CG elements. When using this software, the results would integrate with the 2D traditional environments and could be used on all Direct-to-Video or TV productions at the studio. The technique was first used on Lady and the Tramp II and is still used in production today. Mr. Brick’s passion for the arts and technology continues to drive him to be at the cutting edge of technology and education.

http://www.academyart.edu/ca/ca_bfa_faculty.asp

[ May 28, 2003, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: garethace ]

the reality of architecture in a different sense, from the point of view of a pedestrian.
jane jacobs and the polemical pedestrian?

streetscape has becomes the hegemony of shop keepers and architects-as-planners colluding to protect retail traffic and car parking.

shielded by the tubbed prettiness of gardensque poseurs, once known as trees and plants.

the horrors of the middleclass flaneur.

what would be your approach to re-presenting architectural space to the pedestrian?

jane jacobs and the polemical pedestrian?
Yeah, books like Life and Death do get quoted alot now, by some very well off developer/planner/architects. Heck, i am only starting out in a career though, and am still trying to resolve the considerable disparity between the image of the architect 'as master techno-builder' on the one hand, and 'as urban visionary' on the other.

the horrors of the middleclass flaneur.
I think that you have pretty much described the unfortunate state of alot of professional architecture around the world at the present. Most people i know personally who have become architects, would probably be either bankers, lawyers, judges or chartered accountants if they weren't architects. It is indeed a big weakness/shortcoming of the entire profession. But, if you actively search for an alternative long, painstakingly and hard enough i think you may adjust the finality of your opinions about architects. Easier said than done unfortunately. orangecry

what would be your approach to re-presenting architectural space to the pedestrian?
Very, simple actually. My favourite book (i am not much of a guy for books) but i do remember actually enjoying one particular read at a certain stage in my development. It is Helmer Stenros and Seppo Auras, lecturers at Tampere University in Finland wrote a book about the dimensions of time and space as pertaining to architecture. It expanded my awareness of design and its potential much further than anything else i have found before or since.

Yeah, struggling though a bit of Bacon, a bit of Koolhaas, Lynch etc, etc - all good if you are a certain type of person. But the only book that spelled it out as plainly, as i need things done, was the little publicised, very little known Finish one. (smallish, square black cover in a sort of sleeve jobbie)

Bernard Tschumi is very good talking about this aspect of architecture sometimes, as can be Steven Holl. If you are fortunate enough to hear them. Florien Biegels stuff - any material you can find on his projects, i remember was along the same lines. Apart from that, i don't really need very much more 'architects theory'. And as i said, i very much like to keep it real - see how the idea of dynamic spatial experience playing out in the real world.

Personally, i have a habit of neglecting the 'built nature of architecture'. I cannot seem to find very much inspiration to look at sustainability, passive environmental control etc, etc. But highly respect those practices/people like the Grimshaws, Pianos and Fosters who do or try to do.

BTW, i just have noticed a link posted here that may interest you some.

http://www.cgarchitect.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000034

[ May 29, 2003, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: garethace ]