animation fps question

Dave Buckley

I'm creating an animation that is only going to be played through quicktime on a pc connected to an lcd?

i'm doing it hd, but i'm confused as to whether i need square/non-square, and also what fps does my timeline need to be? i thought it was 25fps, but all i understand is that relates to playing back on british tv's. not too sure about playing back on pc's

When it comes to playing back on PC the FPS is down to personal preference i think. Some people prefer the sharpness that 30fps (NTSC) gives you. Some people like the blurred fuzzy look of 24fps (film). I have always rendered at 25fps (PAL) which has always been fine for me.

Im interested to hear what others say about Square/non-square pixels though?

• 4 weeks later...

cheers stef

the reason i ask is purely on a 'render time' basis, i had always set up my time line at 25fps but if i don't really need to worry about it for pc playback then i was concerened that i may be waiting longer for my rendes than i need to.

example, if i can get away with 15fps for pc playback then thats a massive amount of time on a 5minute animation thats taking 10mins per frame

you could be getting away with 15 if we were in the 90s, but since we are in 2010, clients would probably hate 15fps even if the frames are great.

but really without joking, if the movement is slow you could get away with less frames, the faster the camera movement the more interploration yo uneed to make it smooth.