emailing portfolio...compress size?

huntch3

Hi everyone,

Im a recent architecture grad student and now that Im in the process of job hunting, Im trying to figure out a way to send my portfolio (or a god portion of it) through email to a prospective job opp. Ive tried coverting the pages into jpegs, and then selecting those jpegs in photoshop to creat a multi-page pdf presentation. This works, but the file size is too large, even after saving each initial jpeg in the minimun resolution possible. Do you know of any soulutions or programs that can compress a multi page pdf, into a low mb file size? Please let me know, thanks

I know that a lot of PDF creation software (especially ones you "print" to) allow you to compress the actual PDF in jpeg format - so it's still a PDF, but each page gets compressed. This can make them incredibly light. Of course, if you do this, you'll want to add all your images together in photoshop without compression, else you'll be doing it twice.

That said, I would strongly consider just putting together a portfolio website. If you use a word-press type thing, they're very easy to do, and then the potential employer only has top download the images one at a time as they click on them. There's very, very little waiting.

You can host your PDF portfolio on the Internet and just link to it in the email, if they have fast internet connection a 125 meg portfolio will start showing work pretty darn fast, I don't know that you will get a good looking PDF file to compress real small. Your initial quality set up for your Acrobat settings are crucial for getting down your size, you don't need 300 DPI, etc. for an internet distributed portfolio.