How about a AMD Phenom II 955 X4 Black edition Processor

Hi,

am planning to make a faster and more stable system for running 3dsmax in 64 bits. Currently I use AMD processor and I had not much problem with it. So, I would like to go for again AMD and this time Phenom 955 x4 black edition seems a good choice, as per some benchmark i saw. I would like to see some advice from you regarding:

1. whether Phenom x4 955 black edition or even the standard one will be a good choice? and compared to Intel i5 what different it can have on the performance. I know i7 would be better but, i will not go for that kind of budget for now.

2. if Phenom is a good choice whats the best motherboard that will suit the config. I was thinking of MSI 790GXG65, or may be a ASUS will do better, need advice please

3. i am fond of nVidia and using it since last couple of years, whats the medium priced nVidia card I should go for this config?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Hi,

am planning to make a faster and more stable system for running 3dsmax in 64 bits. Currently I use AMD processor and I had not much problem with it. So, I would like to go for again AMD and this time Phenom 955 x4 black edition seems a good choice, as per some benchmark i saw. I would like to see some advice from you regarding:

1. whether Phenom x4 955 black edition or even the standard one will be a good choice? and compared to Intel i5 what different it can have on the performance. I know i7 would be better but, i will not go for that kind of budget for now.

2. if Phenom is a good choice whats the best motherboard that will suit the config. I was thinking of MSI 790GXG65, or may be a ASUS will do better, need advice please

3. i am fond of nVidia and using it since last couple of years, whats the medium priced nVidia card I should go for this config?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Hi,

1. I am running two PCs at the moment- Intel Q9550 and AMD Phenom II 965 Black Edition. They are both great CPUs but obviously the AMD is faster about 30%. AnandTech has a very helpful benchmark on most CPUs out there, just click on Bench/CPU on the main page and then choose on the next page the CPUs at the top and see how they are doing in different applications (including 3DS Max)

I would personally wait for the six core Phenom II x6 which comes out next month- according to AMD it will cost less than 300 dollars which is a bargain.

2. I am running my Phenom 965 on a MSI GD70 motherboard but that really means nothing. You can get great performance from Asus and Gygabite for that matter. If you are not planning on overclocking your CPU- choose either brand.

3. I run both on AtI and NVidia cards. If you do not plan on taking advantages of CUDA (though I recommend it for GPGPU rendering in renderers like Octane or the next MentalRay) I would suggest any brand. Just make sure it has more memory on it. I went with MSI GTX275 Lightning just because it has 1792MB RAM. It will not help with the rendering time but will boost your performance in the viewport work in 3DS Max.

P.S. If you can spare some money get also 3DConnexion Space Navigator for 3DS Max- it only costs about 60GBP but I find it to be irreplaceable.

Cheers.