What are you listening to right now?

CAD

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just picked up 2 new ones at lunch today....

modest mouse - good news for people who love bad news

blanche - if we can't trust the doctor's

.....i like modest mouse's last full length better. i have only listened to the new one once so far, so maybe it will grow on me. as for blanche, it will probably get a handful of listens, but i fear it might become annoying.

The Thrills, So Much For the City

It's like Steve Forbert sitting in on a session with the Beach Boys, a few hints of 'Born To Run' thrown in for the irony and fun. California Dreamin' in the worst way, which is what I do most of my days. This disc will leave a smile on your face for sure.

Update on the above:

I spent last week in northern California with my son. Saturday I was on my way down the coast to see yet more family. I cut across just below San Francisco, hitting the sea at Half Moon Bay. I put this CD on as I headed down Highway 1 (it hugs the coast, beautiful beach and rugged cliffs the entire way). I was driving a rented Electric Blue PT Cruiser. The first song is 'Santa Cruz, You're not that far'--just far enough to finish the CD. What a blast of pop perfection, heard where it was meant to be. Got to Santa Cruz and took my boy for his first ride on a roller coaster, the great old rickety wooden kind--he's finally taller than the line under which you may not ride the ride.

I love California!

just picked up 2 new ones at lunch today....

modest mouse - good news for people who love bad news

blanche - if we can't trust the doctor's

.....i like modest mouse's last full length better. i have only listened to the new one once so far, so maybe it will grow on me. as for blanche, it will probably get a handful of listens, but i fear it might become annoying.

love modest mouse.... :)

i haven't listened to them in forever

i just clicked on crazy homeless guys link down at the bottom. :p

oh wait.. that's you... :p

At this moment I'm listening to 'Lobet den Hern, alle sein Heerscharen' track three: Aria Tenor: Gott sei gelobt'... (Teleman Cantate)... Yesterday was Rachmaninov, the day before Tchaikovsky...

nisus

• 3 weeks later...
Bach's 6 Unaccompanied Cello Suites. It's a Sunday thing.

It more than just Sundays...

Do you know about the Public television series of the six suites played by YoYoMa in collaboration with six different 'allied arts'? One was dance, one was landscape design (???go figure that one out), and one was architecture. It focused on The Prisons of Piranesi, and featured one of the best pieces of architectural animation I have ever seen. If you want to know why I am so stuck on NPR rendering then see this work. I figured out how it was done, but no matter what, it is incredible.

It shows YoYoMa playing one of the suites in one of the prisons. It is truly the artwork come to life.

I bought the episode on tape (one of six, of course) from an online storte related to PBS, I don't know if was ever put on DVD.

I meant to write this when Fran posted the original comment, but only remembered when the thread came up in 'todays'.

• 2 weeks later...

Joe Strummer StreetCore

It was a shame to lose Strummer (at least he didn't die of drugs like too many other rockers I otherwise respected) but this last album is fantastic. It's got a lot of what made the Clash special, but is not a re-tread of earlier glory. What he's been doing the last decade or so all comes together in this record.

Get down, Moses!