units not dynamic, it looks like

Ah, crap.

It looks like I'm dealing with yet another app that uses generic 'units' and not real-world ones. I know Autocad is like that, and I think MAX, but I didn't know C4D was. I'm not very happy about that. Actually, I'm more that a little unhappy about that.

In the CAD program I have been using for about 18 years you can switch between english and metric with a single click. A door that was made as 7 feet will now measure as about 1 meter (inaccuracy is my brain, not the program). Switch right back to feet, or inches, cm to mm to km. Your data never gets scaled and you never get confused. If you are working in english units but have a metric file to add, just put it in meters, import, then back to english and the new stuff is correct.

Lightscape is like that, too.

In C4D I was bringing together a number of car models that have come from different sourses. Some were set as cm in the original files, some as inches and some as meters. So importing these into ONE file where they will all co-exist at ONE correct size is proving to be less than quick and easy.

How do the rest of you handle this issue? Do you just get used to scaling stuff after import?

you really are exploring all the options here m8, good plan :)

c4d is like all other 3d apps in general. personally all my 3d importing goes through acad first to get the correct units. i've NEVER seen this as a hinderance. all these points you're bringing up recently reffer not only to c4d but to max and other 3d apps too. lightscape is so linked to acad you wouldn't get that problem.

my advice is to learn to live with slight changes to your work raigime. you will get used to it like second nature in no time m8 believe me. it's just one of the occupational hazzards of dealing with 3d apps other than a cad proggy unfortunately.

You didn't answer my question: how do you deal with bringing data into a project that was made with different 'units'? Get used to scaling? I just printed out a conversion factors chart and taped it next to my computer so I can get my cars all the right size and re-save them.

Like I said, ACAD cannot dynamicly change units, but Lightscape CAN, so that is not an area where they are alike.

It is very frustrating. I think of 3D data as being real-world objects with a set and not variable size. Therefore, if I use a foot-ruler or a metric one I should get accurate lengths that are both correct.

That isn't the only way that C4D is frustrating me today, but hopefully with practice it will have me conforming to its world-view. Speaking of which, can you switch the orbit direction--it feels backwards to me, and is there a way to zoom by window or zoom/extents?

Orbits can be reversed... Edit>>Preferences>>Common Tab

Zoom by window: Tools>> Magnify

I prefer the zoom object approach, select object and press "O". This method will also work with multiple objects selected.

Orbits can be reversed...

Oh, THANK YOU, I feel so much better. The orbit thing was probably my largest workflow issue with the program.

The units problem is probably not seen as a problem by most people. It is an example of how generic software is sold for architectural use. Both of the main apps I have relied upon for years were written specifically for architecture. Even though Lightwave is a general rendering app, I would bet it has real units. I wonder about SoftImage and Maya?

I prefer the zoom object approach, select object and press "O". This method will also work with multiple objects selected.

Ah, so it does! Cntl-A + O = zoom extents

You didn't answer my question: how do you deal with bringing data into a project that was made with different 'units'? Get used to scaling?

i did answer your question - i said i go through autocad first before i import anything in. this obviously bypasses the problem. if not then i guess you'll have to get used to scaleing. but as i mentioned, this and other questions u asking are common to 3d apps, not just c4d.

it is a pain in the ass i appreciate, but im sure you'll find it second nature before long. i mean, the millions of peeps who use 3d rendering apps all suffer the same issues and don't complain :) it really is the way you work and get used to.

of course, being european aswell, i hardly ever suffer those funny old forgotten scales you americans still use ;)

i did answer your question - i said i go through autocad first before i import anything in.

OK, you did say that. I was thinking more about third-party stuff, the low-poly cars, for example, that have UV maps and therefore cannot be run through CAD to scale. But since ACAD has the same problem you either fix it there or in the renderer. I am used to NOT having the problem at all. I guess I'm spoiled.

the millions of peeps who use 3d rendering apps all suffer the same issues and don't complain :)

Then let me be the first. Don't you agree it would be easier to work in real-world units? And the main reason most of these apps don't is Autodesk's "leadership". They typically think that it's OK for their customers to have to work around and simply accept their shortcomings. Complaining is how you get things improved when you are a paying customer.

of course, being european aswell, i hardly ever suffer those funny old forgotten scales you americans still use ;)

There is that. We American stick to our archaic English measures while you English go metric.

well i must agree with you there. if you get pre-mapped objects at different unit scales it is a pain in the ass to re-scale. i guess a real-world unit would be much more beneficial.

as i say, i've yet to worry about it as the majority (if not all) pre-bought 3rd party items are in metric :p

and even tho we use mm, cm, metres etc etc, i still use measures like pints, mph etc etc. funny innit. kilometres mean nothing to me ;)

Ernest, I agree with you totally. Due to my architectural trainging and use of FormZ, I too am used to having everything happen with real world measurements. My first forays into C4D were most frustrating (back in V5). The reason I stayed the course was the obvious superiority of C4Ds rendering engine compared to anything else I had access too.

Over the years, I have developed a simple approach of building in FormZ and migrating through C4D. As soon as I have the ability to render full-time (as soon as I'm finished school) I will spend the time to scale all of my libraries to a single set unit and save them as catalouges. Then I will be able to realize the full power of Cinema by using the browser to pull in scenic elements as required, textures intact and no scaling required.

Currently I scale objects one at a time by bringing a "scale object" into Cinema from FormZ with the model I am rendering. It is a simple object with notches every 12" in both the horizontal and verticle - kind of like a set of steps. This allows me to scale objects visibly to an accceptable accuracy level.

Additionally, as I've said before, Instances are your friend. Like Xrefs and blocks, bring in one piece of geometry and then instance it throughout the design as required. It works amazingly fast for lighting, furniture, and landscaping.

In regards to the Metric/Imperial debate......I think anyone in the building trades has to be ambidextrous. For now. Everyone will be metric only eventually :D

Its funny; I drive in kmph, I am feet and inches tall, I weigh pounds, Its degrees celcius outside, I buy liquids by the liter and I buy fruit by the pound. Even Canada isnt totally metric.