What softwares does a 3D architectural visualizer need to possess?

Sheldon

I have a couple of questions related to this topic..

1) What softwares does a 3D architectural visualizer need to possess?

I am a student who has learnt 3ds Max and Maya..Read alot about Revit being used in a lot of firms in India. Need to do something in

modelling texturing lighting.. as in related to career in the above field..

(Sorry one question only ;))

Its sort of an open ended question. The easy answer is which ever software allows you to turn out quality renderings in the required time frame. Everyone takes a different route it seems. The most common software (IMHO) is 3D Max, Vray, and Photoshop. There are many other routes to achieve results.

As far as Revit, it really isn't designed as a rendering type of software, it mearly has some rendering possibilities. My advice is if you want to work as a architectural visualizer then learn as much as you can with rendering software.

@ Kippu : thanks for the tip. :) ive been reading alot all over the web and finally ended up on cgarchitect with something that i was looking for.. yes will read through forums and search for more information. Its just that I am so confused done max done maya now mudbox on the way at classes.. after that all is done.. i like modelling which is why i liked the above mentioned field. Considering you are a veteran level member.. does this field (3d architectural visualisation) require me to have some knowledge of architecture? Cos im a complete newbie to interiors n stuff.. do i need to know to read blueprints and stuff?

@carlotristan3d: What is BIM? im new to all this.. :(

@frank1331: thanks a heap for the advice.. So you suggest i choose a particular software and work on 3d max and leave maya aside? Why is maya not used in this field of work? i mean its not all that bad.. is it that vray renders are better in 3dsmax?

thanks again all you guys really need help with this.. :(

I wasn't suggesting not learning Maya. I think that the more programs you have knowledge of and can use efficiently only makes you more valuable to a firm. Unless you decide to do free-lance work, you dont usually have much control over what software a firm selects for rendering work. So, by learning several programs, you increase your chances that a firm and your skill set are a match. I suggested 3D Max for two reasons (1) you already know how to use it. (Now learn to use it better and faster) and (2) Max is the most popular 3D rendering program, which links with AutoCAD and Revit, which are the top two architectural drawing programs.

Maya is a great program, I just have not seen a lot of architectural firms using it here in the USA.

No straight answers?

Autocad LT - for reading, stripping down and organising architects drawings

3dsmax - modeling, etc

vray - rendering

photoshop - tarting up.

There are free/very cheap versions of these, but they're not as good and I cant vouch for them. They're not exactly used much outside of one man bands either.

Forget about visualization, go into BIM.

not sure this makes sense? isn't visualisation an integral part (or should I say 'it works hand in hand') with the BIM process?

Are you saying that people don't visualise the models created in a BIM workflow or in BIM software? If thats the case then why does Revit have Mental Ray and also a very good dynamic link into 3DS Max via FBX?

And for what it's worth BIM - Building Information Modeling.

Pick up any 'Construction' based magazine at the min and you'll hardly find a page that doesn't mention it

No straight answers?

Autocad LT - for reading, stripping down and organising architects drawings

3dsmax - modeling, etc

vray - rendering

photoshop - tarting up.

There are free/very cheap versions of these, but they're not as good and I cant vouch for them. They're not exactly used much outside of one man bands either.

all i'd add is :

sketchup

after effects/premiere (for animations)

not sure this makes sense? isn't visualisation an integral part (or should I say 'it works hand in hand') with the BIM process?

Are you saying that people don't visualise the models created in a BIM workflow or in BIM software? If thats the case then why does Revit have Mental Ray and also a very good dynamic link into 3DS Max via FBX?

And for what it's worth BIM - Building Information Modeling.

Pick up any 'Construction' based magazine at the min and you'll hardly find a page that doesn't mention it

Have you noticed less and less companies have a need for an in-house visualizer. because BIM software like revit can do that job. The original poser wants to specialize in 3D visualization, I think he'll be more employable if he specializes in BIM.

Have you noticed less and less companies have a need for an in-house visualizer. because BIM software like revit can do that job. The original poser wants to specialize in 3D visualization, I think he'll be more employable if he specializes in BIM.

The BIM field is not exactly for visualization purposes. It is a method for creating design documents from a constructed 3d model rather than drafting them by lines. So you'd be more like a draftsperson, which I think in some ways will give you more job security than the Rendering field nowadays...

@ Kippu : thanks for the tip. :) ive been reading alot all over the web and finally ended up on cgarchitect with something that i was looking for.. yes will read through forums and search for more information. Its just that I am so confused done max done maya now mudbox on the way at classes.. after that all is done.. i like modelling which is why i liked the above mentioned field. Considering you are a veteran level member.. does this field (3d architectural visualisation) require me to have some knowledge of architecture? Cos im a complete newbie to interiors n stuff.. do i need to know to read blueprints and stuff?

not blueprints , but you will have to learn to read plans and other notations of architects , so yes it will be very helpful for you if you have some knowledge of this field before deciding to get into it

The BIM field is not exactly for visualization purposes. It is a method for creating design documents from a constructed 3d model rather than drafting them by lines. So you'd be more like a draftsperson, which I think in some ways will give you more job security than the Rendering field nowadays...

You'd be more than a draftsperson. Once you've finished the modelling part, you can also render it. in most cases it cuts away the need for the architects/designers to engage a 3d visualizer.

@frank1331: Thanks for the advice. Really makes alota sense. I have already learnt Modelling lighting texturing dynamics cloth etc, in Maya aswell as 3dsMax. The problem for now comes to choosing a software to practice and make a good portfolio with. A friend of mine had also suggested that i could model in 3dsMax then import the model to Maya for lighting and rendering.She also told me that Maya is mostly used for animation cos that is what it does best. Since you have mentioned 3dsmax guess i should start working on my portfolio using max. Correct?

@Neil_cg: Hehe thanks for the straightforward answer :) Is autocad really difficult to learn? As in to use as a tool?

@Dave Buckley: For once i thought BIM was a software :) .. just looked it up on youtube.. makes sense. Dave are you implying that Revit is important too? As i mentioned earlier certain firms over here are asking for experience in Revit. Thing is i am currently pursuing a course which involves the following softwares.. 3dsmax, Maya, Mudbox, Adobe premiere n after effects (but after effects will be taught to us only for the purpose of polishing up our demo reels..) thing is dont want to get into an animation studio here in India.

@Carlotrstan3d & Sancheuz: Yes i got what you guys are trying to say.. so BIM basically consists of softwares like AutoCad and Revit.. and Visualizing part is more of rendering like 3dsmax Vray plugins etc Correct? (:

@Kippu: Any idea whether this knowledge can be learned or acquired without enrolling at some institute cos my course(institute) seems to be pushing me into animation which i really dont like.

Thing is guys i have just a couple of months till i gotta start working somewhere.. so i have to start building a portfolio using a software that basically sticks to the demands of the jobmarket here (which keeps on changing ;) ) .. So it sums down to 3dsmax, Photoshop, Adobe after efects n Vray.. All ok with that?

Thanks again all you guys for the replies. :)

3DS Max Design is essentially the same as 3DS Max. The company that makes them, AutoDesk, decided to make two versions that are nearly identicle. Alot of the user base was not happy about this but, life goes on. 3DS Max Design is supposed to be optimized and produced for architectural visualization. 3DS Max is for the entertainment industry. There is some minor difference between the two that I can no longer remember. As time goes on the differences may become greater. Hope this helps.

I agree with what Tristan is saying about BIM. Anyone can do a 3D rendering nowawadays. Whether it's a flashy rendering or a cheesy quickie rendering.

BIM is already happening. It's been happening for a years now and it's going to take over everything we do as 3D visualizers. No one is going to spend $$$ on nice renderings anymore. Anyone coming out of architecture school can do renderings now. Even though they are not flashy and as good as what us experienced illustrators can do of course.

So, I'm seeing firms including 3D renderings as a part of their architectural services. Those can be done in-house now.

I've spent the past 7 months learning Revit at our office and trying to figure out a way to make 3D visualization more integral to the design process. 3D visualization is a part of BIM, so we need to find ways to shift our expertise into that area. Learning Revit and being able to use Revit has been a tremendous asset for me. I strongly recommend that you guys learn how to use it if you have not already.

I'm predicting that real time visualization is going to be the next area that we all need to hit. Knowing how to integrate that into a pipeline and workflow is easier now since the model is already created in Revit. The .fbx file linking in 3DS Max Design 2011 allows you to bring in the model by material so there is no more nightmare of dealing with Revit files with 3DS Max. There is also no more tesselation in the .fbx files either so it's a clean model.

Marketing ourselves as people who can create stunning visualization through BIM will be extremely marketable. Not just in renderings, but by allowing users to have real time control over the model at any stage of design. So, I'm thinking architecture firms are going to be looking for people who can do all that. Not just pretty 3D renderings anymore. Being able to offer a model that can be walked through and be visually realistic will be more compelling than any still rendering. It would be a rendering come to life. In addition to that it will all be in stereo 3D. Navisworks already allows you to work in stereo 3D for collisions, but there's so much more that it can do as well as Design Review.

So, I think if we are going to still be competitive in this field, we are going to need to know how to use:

Autocad

Revit

3DS Max

Vray

Mental Ray

Navisworks

Design Review

Adobe Photoshop

Adobe Premiere

Adobe After Effects

Adobe Flash

Image Modeler

Project Photofly (See Autodesk Labs)

Sketchup

Unity game engine

UDK Development Kit

A knowledge of architecture and the construction process are great assets as well.

We're also going to need some amazing hardware to go with all that whizz bang software.

Edited by hockley91

Sheldon, is your education in the Arch realm or in teh greater CG realm.

If it's in the greater CG realm look else where to focus your efforts with a sideline in ArchViz. Reality being ArchViz is a very specialized subset of the Greater CG CGVFX industry. Much of the real trechnical specialty needed by a human has been taken up by hardware and software. The rest is really the ability to stylize images to suite Architects and Developers. It has been very competetive and changing industry.

If you are going to ArchViz your focus ... Realtime interaction and Augmented reality will give you the best bang to make you stand out in an insudtry where everyone knows how to model texture and light scenes as a core basic skill.

my education is more concentrated onthe movie industry frankly speaking.. no body even mentioned architectural visualiser anywhere out here.. its just that the jobs are available out here hence i wanted to take a peek as too whether i can do it or not? but i have no technical knowledge of architecture nor do i know autocad or revit. :(