House lobby

rac2181

1292322399.jpg

Studio/Institution: RAC
Genre: Residential Interior
Software: 3DS Max 2010, Mental ray
Description:

Hello guys,

Please comment on my work, im a beginner and i need you advices to make the shot more real.

BTW i only have mental ray...and i can see that v-ray is giving more real visualizations

Thanks in advance

You´re definitely in the right track. In this case, the reflections are too strong. One thing that you should definitely do is search on google, flickr, whatever, for real world materials that you want to have in your scenes and observe how they behave. From that, you should try to do the same in the MAX materials (either Vray or Arch&Design). Hope it helps. Good luck.

I kind of like the hyper-real super reflections, it reminds me of Syd Mead and co. and their idealistic visions of the future where everything is shiny and slick!

That said, it's a great start but the reflections could use some blur. Don't get caught in the 'Vray vs. MR' war, as I've seen very stunning results done with both, and very shitty work ALSO done with both. Rather, take some time to master the tools you have before expanding. As mentioned previously, tone down the reflections a tad, and add a bump map and a reflection map to the floor to give it some scruff. People walk on it, after all. Also, except for mirrors, materials in the real world rarely have perfectly crisp reflections. Make the reflections glossy, play around with it, it will help get rid of the digital 'perfectness'.