Computer Buying Help Please!

I am looking at a Desktop at Sams Club for 1300 dollars. It is HP 1117c. Intel i7 quad core processor with upto 3.4 ghz processing speed, 8GB RAM, 1.5 TB hard drive. Graphics card is Radeon HD 6670. I plan to use it for 3D Max renderings of single family residences or some small scale commercial projects and interior scenes.

Is this graphics card good for 3D Max and vray? Will it give me decent results while working with the models in 3d max and decent rendering speed?

I dont want to invest too much as I am newly venturing in to freelance work. I would highly appreciate your input.

Well, first, unless you're using Vray RT GPU the video card has nothing to do with Vray. Now, the 6670 isn't terrible, actually it's a bit faster than what I use at home and what I use is competent and fine some long as the models aren't too complicated, but not up to the current expectations and not good enough for running Vray RT GPU on and expecting good results. I went and looked up that computer and the CPU sounds is an i7-2600. If you look at the link in my signature, it goes to my recommended configurations. The HP you're talking about is closest to my Budget system (the HP has a bit better CPU, mine has a substantially better video card) and mine is under $1000 but you have to assemble it yourself and monitor is not included. If you used the Budget system but with this CPU instead of the i5 CPU, you're somewhat under $1100. The HP comes with this monitor which is nice, not as good as an IPS display but good if that's the budget and you want that size. The better 27" monitors are higher resolution with better color reproduction but a lot more money, like this one.

To Andrew,

I'm kind of in the same boat. My budget is around $1500 not including the monitor.

I currently use a Dell laptop xps 16 studio I7 for 3dsmax w/vray, rhino, and photoshop.

I'm focused mostly on stills doing small residential renderings.

Now, in the future I'd like to add a BIM software package, so this is why I

need a mid range pc that can handle the load. I do like some of the configurations

you point out for my budget. The problem is I'm not to comfortable building it myself.

I had a hard time putting together my daughter's bike, let alone build a computer:)

Can you recommend any resources where I can choose similar configurations as yours

and have it built for me within my $1500 dollar budget?

There are plenty of smaller companies that will do a custom build for you but none that will do it for that price. For example, there's a company near me called pcsforeveyone.com that you can also mail order from. I tried making a Midrange on their web site and it came out over $2000. So it comes down to whether you want to put in your time or your money, I guess. Alternatively, you may know somebody who can help you for pizza and beer.

Thanks for your reply Andrew.

I'll just have to look around and find a good deal

or get my hands dirty and do my first build.

If not, I'll take your advise and go for the pizza and beer deal.

I just hope we both don't get too wasted before hand.

Thanks again.

Gus

Thanks for your reply Andrew.

I'll just have to look around and find a good deal

or get my hands dirty and do my first build.

If not, I'll take your advise and go for the pizza and beer deal.

I just hope we both don't get too wasted before hand.

Thanks again.

Gus

Gus, building a computer is not that challenging at all these days. I would highly recommend one of Andrew's "recommended builds", purchase those parts within your budget range. Next time is to get all parts ordered and at home.

First thing I did when I built my first machine is look thru all the instructions for the computer case, understanding mounting points for the motherboard, PSU, hdd's etc. next was reading about the motherboard mounting. Next would be cpu mounting, which is so easy. 4th would be mounting the hdds in the drive bays followed by the dvd/blu-ray burner. Next to last would be mounting the graphics card. Lastly, mounting the PSU and running the cabling and doing a good job of efficient and clean cable management.

From this step you load your operating system into your computer and follow the on-board instructions to load windows.

I won't be back to LA till April, otherwise I would come and build it for you for free. I like doing it.

I have built about 10 PCs now and it is easier every time....think of it as riding a bike. Once you get the hang of it, you only get better.

Oh, about what Chris said - nobody's got computer building experience until after they do their first one, right? I think most people can do it if they're willing to spend a bit of time. Take a look here: http://www.antec.com/pdf/manuals/Sonata%20IV%20Manual_EN.pdf for the case manual (for the Sonata IV, which is in some of my recommendations), which shows how to install the hard drives and motherboard in the case, and here: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8P67/E6531_P8P67_REV_3_1.zip for the motherboard manual from the Midrange config, which shows where the components plug in to the motherboard. Chapter 2, part 2.3, is an extended explanation with drawings on how to put together a computer. If it looks like something you can handle, just do it, because it's very difficult to get a computer from one of the major vendors that's got the right set of components to be good for 3D work.

Chris & Andrew,

Thank you guys for the advice. Both of you are right.

I do have to get my first build under my belt sooner or later.

I just didn't want to spend all that money and screw things up.

I have an old pc that I might take apart just to get familiar with

some of the components.

Chris, I do appreciate your offer. Thank you.

Gus

Gus,

The only difficult portion is loading the OS and that is b/c operating systems like to go fubar sometimes during install. As for the equipment part,like I said, take your time. Build your system in a area where the floor is non-static, like a hardwood floor or concrete floor. Also, purchase a static wristband. Basically if you build up any static electricity, the bracelet will take it instead of transferring it to computer parts.

Installation of the cpu cooler is probably the most annoying bc of properly applying thermal paste to the cpu. My first build it took me 3 tries to get it applied right where my temps were acceptable to my needs(remember I overclock my systems)

Gus,

The only difficult portion is loading the OS and that is b/c operating systems like to go fubar sometimes during install. As for the equipment part,like I said, take your time. Build your system in a area where the floor is non-static, like a hardwood floor or concrete floor. Also, purchase a static wristband. Basically if you build up any static electricity, the bracelet will take it instead of transferring it to computer parts.

Installation of the cpu cooler is probably the most annoying bc of properly applying thermal paste to the cpu. My first build it took me 3 tries to get it applied right where my temps were acceptable to my needs(remember I overclock my systems)

Chris,

Thanks for the heads up. I would have never thought about using a static wristband.

Besides having a regular toolset, are there any additional tool kits that I need to purchase?

You need a number 2 philips screwdriver. Oh, I just spotted an omission. Do a search on amazon for Arctic Silver 5 and include a small tube in your order. You're trying to get a thin layer of the stuff on the part of the heat sink that contacts the CPU. I usually do that by cutting off a piece of plastic from the packaging material of some part and using it like a putty knife.

You need a number 2 philips screwdriver. Oh, I just spotted an omission. Do a search on amazon for Arctic Silver 5 and include a small tube in your order. You're trying to get a thin layer of the stuff on the part of the heat sink that contacts the CPU. I usually do that by cutting off a piece of plastic from the packaging material of some part and using it like a putty knife.

Thanks Andrew.

I saw some useful tool kits on Amazon. I'll try to do this build within

the next month. I'll let you guys know how it went.

I appreciate all the help guys.

Gus