problem with hidden lights

fadi3d

hi there,

i have this annoying problem : i hide the Vray lights with (Shift + L) bet whenever i render and stop or sometimes when i Click in the vie they get Unhidden.if anybody knows why or how to keep them hidden (whithout putting them in a Layer an hiding the Layer) please tell me

i am using max 2011 and vray 2.0

thank you.

Go into you're layer manager and click on the lights hide and a pair of binoculars will come up now they are hidden go LT or Rt click on the lights go down to object properties and under interactivity check or tick the hide button then click on ok

Edited by datacrasher

The above is same as right clicking on the object and selecting hide selection from quad>upper right section; no need to use layer manager for that. Of course I am a newbie here, but I have been using 3D studio since dos version 2 (1992) and training students+practicing architects, just to make things little clearer for 'doubting thomas' type souls :)

If only the number of posts against one's name makes somebody feel ultra superior, so be it, to each one his own.....

Edited by umeshraut

Sorry guys but that didn't help.

i don't want to right click and select hide.what i want is when using Shift + L to hide the lights i want them to stay hidden untill i use Shift + L AGAIN

but what is happening is the are automatically unhidden when i hit render and cancel

i hope someone has a solution or maybe it is just a bug ????

Maybe there is some other cause to it, but I would lay my vote down on it being a bug. The only way, to my knowledge, lights become active in the viewport after you shift+L, hide them is when you go to place another light in the scene. The same is true for geometry and splines and all of the other hide by categories.

Have you merged into a new scene or tried just replacing the lights?

It isn't; at least not with our copy :), I tried hiding the light(s) by shift+L then hitting render and canceling it several times, they stay hidden until I hit shift+L again.

My thought was that it is a bug in this particular file. Not in vray/max altogether. I too cannot repeat the issue at home.

thank u guys for the input but this happens with all my files ( even after merging to a new scene)

@ Tony i am afraid since i do my design work in max laying out the textures an lights at the end is out of the question.

any other ideas ????

How is it out of the question? I use max i then create my scenes once i have completed my scene then i add the texture then set up the lights.

i'm not sure why you're saying it's out of the question.

that the normal steps

Edited by datacrasher

Tony, what i do is not only visualisation but also interior design (which keeps changing along the way until the boss like what i ended p with)

so i start rendering early on so i can get a feel of what it would look like (colors mood etc...) i'm not saying it can't be done it's just not the way for me.also a solution to the discussed problem might prove more usefull for me and others alike.

thank u so much for ur input.

i do both so it should not keep changing along the way, that's why i went into freelancing so bosses cannot tell you what to do it's so annoying. You know half these boss's have never used a 3d program lol and they could not use one to save their life.

the only way you can try and get rid of that bug is by adding the lastest service pack if you have not already done so. if i need to change something like the lighting then i always use the active shade

Do you experience the same problem when you go to the display tab and click the check box to hide lights by category?

Also, I would suggest that you download all the service packs and hot fixes for MAX 2011. This could be part of your issue.

Good luck!

E

• 12 years later...

I just faced the same problem, here is the problem: there are objects in your scene that contain "direct illumination" by "VRay light material"
- Search for any objects in your scene that are materialized by "VRay light material"
- open your "material editor", and select the “pick material from object” button, then pick any “vray light material” objects one by one
- You will immediately find the "direct illumination" box on
- solution: turn off the check mark
- shift + L all lights, and try rendering again

VRAY LIGHT MATERIAL PROBLEM.jpg