iRay Noise Problem after 12 hrs of rendering.

andrewbowden

Hi,

I am learning 3ds max, and one great way to learn is with the simple renderer iRay.

Problem is I woke this morning expecting a crisp clear image after leaving the computer to render for 12 hours. My computer is also pretty fast ( specs below ) can anybody please advise how i can fix the noise problem i am having?

Andrew

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)

3.47 GHz Intel Core i7 X990

Multi-core ( 6 total )

Hyper Threaded ( 12 Total )

5TB of useable harddrive space, consisting of 4 Drives ( 2 of which are Raid )

ASUSTeK SABERTOOTH X58 Motherboard

24.0 GB RAM

AMD RADEON HD 6900 Series Display Adaptor.

Ahah, the "amazing" iRay :- ). Read up on Jeff Patton's blog, he offers some good technical advice on iRay rendering, I don't know of anyone else who does (I don't know actually of anyone who uses iRay seriously, esp. for architectural work like interiors).

Even if it would be super clean after 12 hours, can you afford 12 hours to render single image.... ?

I understand that concern. I too started with Octane render, whose unbiased simplicity I loved. But for the sake of effectivness and because my scenes wouldn't fit into GPU (iRay is also only fast with GPU acceleration, but then it's restricted by it's small memory) I switched to Vray.

If you find Vray settings annoying (I do) use plugin Solidrocks with its presets. It will simplify your world, lets you focus on work, and speed up your renders.

That much noise for 12 hours of rendering, on an interior scene, doesn't surprise me at all. All unbiased engines take more time with a limited light supply, which is typical for interior scenes. Like Juraj said, if you want iRay to be a realistic solution (time wise), you'll need to involve the GPU.

Here's a link to the thread on JP's website, speaking specifically about iRay interiors:

http://jeffpatton.net/2010/10/optimize-interior-scenes-for-iray/ -Crazy thing is he's only rendering for 15mins, but that's with really impressive graphics cards.

To answer your question: pull the shade up on your window and run some tests :^). You'll probably be amazed at what letting a little more light into your scene will do.

Jeff's scene is rendered by only one additional Quadro Card;5000, which is slower than 580GTX performance when it comes to GPU rendering, and features only 2,5GB, which is a lot, but still not much.

I really don't like iRay, it seemed impressive from 3year old videos when GPU was in infancy and something new, exciting, but I think out of all the GPU renderers out there (Octane, Arion,VrayRT), iRay seems like their slow brother. I haven't even seen ANY pretty render done on it. It's not faster, the "unbiased" result seems bland, overall, I am not impressed by it. It's just integrated into Max, its only plus in my opinion.

I don't even know of any client who will appreciate the slightly more correct lightning result, but in noisy, bland image, which took one day to render. There are around 1000 reasons why Vray reigns on top. It's fast, versatile, flexible and delivers nice (albeit not "physically correct" ) results. The settings fiddling, is just small drawback, and like I mentioned previously, can be avoided totally by using presets.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree GPU based pathtracers very likely will be the future. The big question is if they are the right thing today. First, working professionally with a GPU based renderer requires a significant investment in one or several high end graphic cards, which might get devalued very quickly by newer models. Second afaik all GPU renderers use pathtracing, which is supernice as long as you got well-lit objects, which is i.e. cars or product shots. For scenes where just part of the image can see direct light, which is architectural interiors, pathtracers tend to give you exactly what you see: noise that never really clears up.

Aksel

Edited by Aksel
Typo