Why v-ray is better than mental ray

ramy

hi Ramy,

in all it is a good animation. I like the Music, Camera Fly and Architecture. Some Shading looks death ( brown sofa in the looby), or to grainy reflections. The indoor Lighting is sometime overbright. I have see GI-Artefacts on some Peoples. The Animation is ok, but not photorealistic. Vray can it better...

mfg

hot chip

Ramy, I check out your blog from time to time and you have fantastic work. I started out on V-Ray years ago, but moved over to Mental Ray in the last year. What I love about V-Ray which Mental Ray lacks are the faster rendering times, great displacement mapping, the Irradiance Map Viewer and that you can combine your maps into one. They both have pro's and con's. When I went to the Chaos Group Booth at Siggraph 2010, I got an earful and a good lesson in that I really didn't know what I was doing in V-Ray.

The one great selling point of Mental Ray is that it is embedded with 3DS Max...that's nice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, Ramy,

It's not vRay, or mentalray, or what.

It is YOU.

Yes, your stills have too much, "not seen in real life" sharpness, but isn't that wonderful ?

Then, aren't we all all paying dues to the expected and customary mannerisms, fuzzy people, Kincaid skies, robotic "live" walking zombies, that our clients pay for ?

Your lighting decisions in the exterior shots make them real and alive. For the interiors you have a good enough faster solution.

Good work.

I myself do prefer mentalray : isn't solving its unexpected quirks better than crosswords ? With vRay simpler to handle..

To see what crazy people do , take a look at my SolidWorks + mentalRay efforts.

http://sitekreator.com/visionprojects/main_page.html

Nico

Nicolae Trifu

NTI, Inc.

Atlanta GA