Realtime Viz of Hospital Ward

stormchaser

• 2 months later...

Looks really good! Was all of the unwrapping and baking done strictly with Max, or were there other tools and/or plugins used? I have only ever had a few days here or there to mess with it as a proof of concept, but it feels like most of my time goes into getting good, resolution balanced light maps.

I used an early trial version of Flatiron and I felt that it did a good job at simplifying/automating that part of the process, but I only got to mess with it one time as I ran out of time in the trial. It seems that the cost of the plugin would be justified if you had these type of project requests regularly. I have also seen a few other similar tools that were more budget friendly mentioned here and there, but I always forget to keep track of them. I welcome any reason to look them up again, and your work inspires me to do this :)

thanks Benjamin,

unrwrapping and baking was done in max/vray. i do have flatiron but i do not use it much, at least not on the objects that make or break the scene. for example walls, floors and ceilings. chairs, bed etc. i use flatirons on objects where even a low quality unwrapping would be fine. for example leaves and flowers in flower pot, handles etc. i think nothing beats manually unwrapping your model. and as you do more projects you build a library of furniture which would already be unwrapped so youd only be left with structural components.

baking light is the only crucial step in this whole process. if you do not have a good lightmap you can never get a good quality in unity or any other engine. so you do not need any extra tools, just use whatever tools you already have in your pipeline.

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent work. Do you find Unity to be an easy program to use? Have you explored Quest 3D? I have a 1 week trial version of Quest 3D waiting for me to install but like that Unity is free. And the VR's that you have on your website are beautiful and are exactly what I am wanting to produce.

Excellent work. Do you find Unity to be an easy program to use? Have you explored Quest 3D? I have a 1 week trial version of Quest 3D waiting for me to install but like that Unity is free. And the VR's that you have on your website are beautiful and are exactly what I am wanting to produce.

hi travis,

i think quest3d dropped the ball, there was once a time when they were very close to unity3d as a competitor but now i think unity is far ahead. their node based editing might look easier in the start but i think unity is easier overall and has such a great support, plugin developers, content creators etc. i see no point in going to quest3d now... the choices we have would be between unity and unreal.

unity is really not that difficult to learn, you can get started within a day or two, and most of the time all the hard work would be done in your 3D software, whichever you use whether 3ds max or maya or c4d. for our presentations we just need to import the models and play with shaders.