Real Time Arch Viz

paulfox

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

Thanks again to everyone for their input on the real time discussion, it was invaluable for my thesis.

If anyone wants to have a look at the results then please feel free to give it a read here on issuu. I'd love to know people's thoughts as I was new to the whole real time thing and hopefully I've managed to produce something informative and accurate!

Cheers

Hi guys,

We've followed ideas from many places since we started to do Realtime Visualization, of couse this thread is very helpful. Thanks a lot for sharing.

We'd learn that this is not one man game. Real Viz need a team from many industries. People talking about CryEngine, or UDK, or Unity. For us, one is not enough, we are using 2: CryEngine and Unity to make sure we can offer good solution in many situation.

I would like to share our work and hope to hear your feedback.

https://vimeo.com/70457152

Many thanks,

--Nam

Hi guys

Thanks again to everyone for their input on the real time discussion, it was invaluable for my thesis.

If anyone wants to have a look at the results then please feel free to give it a read here on issuu. I'd love to know people's thoughts as I was new to the whole real time thing and hopefully I've managed to produce something informative and accurate!

Cheers

I haven't had the time to read it in depth, but overall it looks like you did a fantastic job. Though in section 2 lit review, p 14, you got the date mismatched on my citation. You have it as 2007 and it should be 2011 as in the rest of the paper and your cited works section. It's quite a minor typo but it can be critical if you want to publish it.

Are you going to try to get this published in a journal? If so you might want to make sure you get copyrights to the images you used from games and such. Hopefully the research can continue on as I think the groundwork has been set.

Oh bollocks! Thanks for kind words and for pointing the error out, Scott, I hate it when you find mistakes after it's all been sent for printing etc. There's an erroneous 'v' in it somewhere as well. Very annoying. My apologies for the incorrect reference.

I hadn't planned on getting it published, no. I saved all the links to the images though so if there is interest in it I can hopefully find any copyrights/permissions fairly easily.

Although it has been a frustrating learning experience at times, particularly at the moment as I'm trying to create cinematics, it has been thoroughly interesting and I'm excited about where the whole game engine thing is going so hopefully I'll be able to continue to use them. Going to give Unity a crack when I get some free time as well. If anyone's interested I'll try get a link posted to the final scene .exe from Dropbox or something like that once it's finished.

Ha! No worries, there are a few spelling mistakes in mine as well. It just stood out to me as it just happened to be my paper. I'm surprised you could use images without any sort of copyright. When I had to turn all of my paperwork in, I had to turn in any copyright information for images that weren't mine, which I avoided since I didn't want to mess around with contacting companies. Images were to be treated as research when it came to citations.

Personally, I think physically based rendering is where it is headed for real time as shown by the upcoming UE4 and the update to CryEngine3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHiqHzxZSMU

Some science-type SIGGRAPH stuff on the matter; http://blog.selfshadow.com/publications/s2013-shading-course/

EDIT: Unity is getting it too, from the community developers: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120093&highlight=unity+shader

Edited by VelvetElvis

• 1 month later...

Lookin pretty good! Though I would suggest to use Vimeo for stuff like this. Youtube is terrible for demo stuff as I spent too much time clearing pop-up ads and getting suggestions for low-quality twerking videos on the sidebar.

Did you use frame dumps from UDK to compile the video? What I would do is use those at the max res you can get, render out an uncompressed vid from After Effects (or other) then take that into Adobe Media Encoder and spit out an mp4 using the Vimeo preset. That'll get you close to what Vimeo is going to do to your file.

Cheers again, Scott.

I did roughly the same workflow as you outlined only for YouTube and not Vimeo. I've never really pondered signing up to Vimeo but now that you mention it I do see quite a lot of animations uploaded there instead of YouTube. It was the reasons why the original file and the YouTube version seemed so different in quality that got me! Ah well.

But to answer your original question, yes it was frame dumps. 3301 frames at 1280x720 (8.5Gb of files). I can't remember precisely how long it took to spit all the frames out but it definitely wasn't long at all! I did work out how long it'd have taken to do it in mental ray and it was something like 25 days based on about 10-15 mins per frame! So definitely a good way to go in that respect.

Setting up the animation was surprisingly easy as well apart from a couple of teething problems involving telling the cameras to use absolute coordinates instead of relative ones. It got a bit frustrating seeing that every time I exited and re-entered matinee my shots had moved!

• 6 months later...
Hi guys,

We've followed ideas from many places since we started to do Realtime Visualization, of couse this thread is very helpful. Thanks a lot for sharing.

We'd learn that this is not one man game. Real Viz need a team from many industries. People talking about CryEngine, or UDK, or Unity. For us, one is not enough, we are using 2: CryEngine and Unity to make sure we can offer good solution in many situation.

I would like to share our work and hope to hear your feedback.

https://vimeo.com/70457152

Many thanks,

--Nam

after seeing al the excellent work showed in this thread I can tell you are a true master .. congratulations.. I wonder why no one commented on yor work.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Keep in mind that whatever engine is chosen for Arch Viz, it is a bloody nightmare to do design revisions once in the gaming engine (in our case UE4)

Keep in mind that whatever engine is chosen for Arch Viz, it is a bloody nightmare to do design revisions once in the gaming engine (in our case UE4)

Not sure where the nightmare comes from doing revisions? Do you mean changes to the 3D model? I'm not so clear on how Unreal handles model importing, but in Unity for example if you make a change to the model (in 3dsmax or whatever) and save it, then alt tab over to Unity, it'll auto load in those changes without you having to think about it.

Not sure where the nightmare comes from doing revisions? Do you mean changes to the 3D model? I'm not so clear on how Unreal handles model importing, but in Unity for example if you make a change to the model (in 3dsmax or whatever) and save it, then alt tab over to Unity, it'll auto load in those changes without you having to think about it.

Does UNity take Max files direct? Unreal is FBX...and the workflow has proven a bit challanging for updates.... updates happen in either Revit or SketchUp, which is then taken into 3DS Max and then exported as FBX (After extensive cleanup and UV Mapping) and then to Unreal.

Does UNity take Max files direct? Unreal is FBX...and the workflow has proven a bit challanging for updates.... updates happen in either Revit or SketchUp, which is then taken into 3DS Max and then exported as FBX (After extensive cleanup and UV Mapping) and then to Unreal.

I'm not 100% sure as I use Blender. You can see the manual here though for max files: http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/HOWTO-ImportObjectMax.html

I imagine the max import process for Unity would be much the same as Blender's though (and you can try it just using the free version of unity). For example with Blender I'll just go in and move vertices or add objects etc, save, alt tab to Unity, it loads it the changes automatically, all done.

Your workflow might be slow regardless of game engine if you have to cleanup/UV map after bringing into Max each time, couldn't really comment much further.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys!

We have created a community guide to using Unreal Engine 4 for architectural visualization. http://collidervisuals.com/guide

The goal is for us to build the most comprehensive archviz guide online that doesn’t need periodic reposts as it is updated in real-time!

To comment, select a piece of text or a pic, right click, and click comment. Text with comments will be highlighted.

To suggest changes or add new content simply edit the document. The font for suggestions is green.

We will frequently add content to the guide and we hope that you will too. This document is public, so share the knowledge and play nice!