adjustments for gamma LUT on vs. off

philvanderloo

I have a material library that was included in my Vray purchase. I'm told that the materials in this very extensive library were designed to be used with Gamma and LUT turned off.

I have been leaving gamma LUT on and setting gamma at 2.2.

What should I expect to adjust to make these materials work at these settings?

Right now the materials aren't even close to what they are supposed to look like and they do appear as intended when I turn off gamma.

I've tried guessing at adjustments but I can't figure out where to start.

Hopefully the adjustments will be pretty consistent for all the materials as I would hate to have to throw this library away.

Thank You

To counter the gamma issue, wherever there is a color for a value in your material, right click it and copy, then create a vray color and paste the color, and enable the gamma correction in the vray color node thingy. If there are bitmaps controlling values (like bump or specular or whatever), make sure they are loaded with the correct gamma. Experiment on one material until you get it right, then do the same for all the others.

Thank You Nicolai.

I'm still missing something because after I do what you suggest I get a render that is far lighter than what is in the view. And my hardwood floor bitmap is rendering as a solid color. All of my bitmaps are loaded with a 2.2 gamma override and I substituted my mix colors with vray colors with a 2.2 color gamma and 2.2 gamma correction.

With the settings i tend to use, if i have to match a color, say a NCS or RAL or something, i use the vray color node as you do now. Then in the material browser it tends to look a bit too dark, but in the render it comes out the right tone. So if your render is lighter i than you see in the material editor, i would not be worried, but you have to have something to compare it to. As for your hardwood floor bitmap, perhaps you should check your uwvmap settings? I tend to work with real world scale as it works OK for a lot of things, but if your material/bitmap is not set up to real world size, it may be really small and appear to be a single color?